What is ayurveda?
According to the National Institutes of Health’s National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Ayurvedic medicine is one of the world’s oldest medical systems, a holistic approach to healthcare that started in the ancient Vedic times of India. Ayurveda (“the science of life”) is a natural, prevention-oriented system that includes:
- Diet and nutrition
- A healthy lifestyle and daily routine
- Stress management, including meditation
- Herbs and dietary supplements
- Breathing exercises (Pranayama)
- Rejuvenation therapy (Rasayana)
- Self-massage (Abhyanga)
- Yoga postures
What are the benefits of ayurveda?
Ayurveda’s purpose is to prevent disease, maintain optimal health and manage chronic disorders to restore a healthy balance.