What are mind-body therapies?
Mind-body therapies focus on interactions among the brain, mind, body and behavior, according to the National Institutes of Health’s National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Types of mind-body therapies include:
- Autogenic traning
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Creative and expressive arts therapies (art, music, dance)
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- Guided imagery and self-hypnosis
- Heart-centered practices
- Progressive muscle relaxation
- Relaxation response
- Support groups
- Tai chi
What are the benefits of mind-body therapies?
Mind-body practices use the mind to affect physical functioning and promote health.