Providing you with the right treatment and support to start your recovery.
The Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center is a leader in rehabilitative care for traumatic and non-traumatic brain injuries. We develop new treatments and therapies to restore independence and enhance quality of life for those who have experienced a range of brain injuries.
Each brain injury is different. A brain injury may be mild, with a brief change in mental status; moderate, with a loss of consciousness; or severe, causing a prolonged coma. Any brain injury can lead to long-term symptoms and the potential for permanent disability. Rehabilitation of your brain injury begins as quickly as possible in the hospital. As your physical condition improves, rehabilitation services can increase and target your particular needs.
The outcome following a brain injury depends on many variables, including:
- Nature and severity of the brain injury
- Type and degree of any resulting impairments and disabilities
- Overall health of the patient
- Family support
- Quality of the rehabilitation care
Rehabilitation maximizes your capabilities at home and in the community, improves your self-esteem and promotes independence.
Our program provides services to maximize your physical, cognitive and psychological recovery and to restore your quality of life.
We provide rehabilitative care for people who have experienced brain injuries related to:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Stroke, blocked or bleeding blood vessel in the brain
- Hematoma, heavy bleeding into or around the brain
- Aneurysm, a weakened area of an artery wall that bulges or expands
- Brain tumor
- Neurological disorders, diseases of the brain, spinal cord and nerves
- Anoxia, the brain does not receive oxygen
- Hypoxia, the brain does not receive enough oxygen
Why choose The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center?
If a brain injury causes problems with movement, walking, communication, swallowing safely, thinking skills or behavior control, then rehabilitation is crucial to maximize the potential for recovery. Recovery may take weeks, months or may be a lifelong process. Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center provides groundbreaking treatments for brain injury that are based on the latest research available. There are many reasons to choose our programs and services. We help thousands of people each year to regain independence and improve quality of life after a brain injury. Our Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program is designed to facilitate treatment plans that help you:
- Optimize your brain's own healing (plasticity)
- Exercise and receive therapy to improve mobility, strength, swallowing, communication and thinking
- Enhance skills needed to perform daily activities
- Develop strategies to compensate for restrictions on everyday life
- As a nationally recognized model system for treatment and research of brain injuries, you receive:
- The most advanced treatments and therapies
- Access to the most recent data from long-term studies of traumatic brain injury patients
- We are the only rehabilitation program in central Ohio certified for traumatic brain injury
- Our staff has experience that only comes with years of specialization and exchanging information with colleagues from leading brain injury centers in North America
- Our patients have excellent outcomes including:
- Functional gains that exceed national standards
- Discharge-to-home rate that is higher than the national average
- Recovery of self-care, mobility and cognitive thinking skills exceeding the national averages
- Our brain injury specialists are nationally certified by the Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists (ACBIS), which establishes best practices for brain injury rehabilitation
- Through group therapy and peer support, you learn how to regain social and functional skills.
- We offer you and your family a specialized educational series dedicated to brain injury recovery
- Our rehabilitation process includes a team of healthcare professionals with different areas of expertise working together to care for you and help you reach your specific goals
- We offer you a continuum of specialized rehabilitative care:
- Acute hospitalization
- Inpatient rehabilitation
- Outpatient rehabilitation
- We are proud that our Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs at Dodd Hall and Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). CARF recognized our programs as meeting the highest standards in quality, safety and outcome measures, which provide risk-reduction and accountability in our patient care.
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center's rehabilitation program has consistently ranked among the best in the nation
- Since The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available