Providing care if you are having trouble moving, walking or speaking.
The Spasticity Management Program at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center provides comprehensive care for people with spasticity and various dystonias. Spasticity is stiff or tight muscles with exaggerated reflexes that can make it difficult to move, walk or speak. Spasticity is common in people with diseases of the nervous system or those who have suffered damage to the part of the brain that controls voluntary movement.
We provide comprehensive care and rehabilitation for patients with:
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy, a group of chronic conditions affecting body movement and muscle coordination
- Hereditary spastic paraparesis, progressive weakness and stiffness of the legs
- Multiple sclerosis, achronic disease of the central nervous system
- Spinal cord injury
- Stroke, a blocked or bleeding blood vessel in the brain
Why choose The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center?
Our rehabilitative care can help improve spasticity and may relieve related symptoms including pain, impaired mobility, disrupted sleep and more. There are many important reasons to choose our programs and services:
- We are a leader in the use of the Baclofen pump for decreasing spasticity. The pump is a programmable device that delivers medication directly to a targeted site in the spinal cord.
- Our program has a 10-year history of proven results using Botulinum toxin (Botox®) and other injection therapies, which relax muscles and reduce excessive muscle contractions. We use electromyography (tests the electrical activity of muscles), or neurostimulator control (delivers mild electrical signals) to guide our injections.
- Our physical, occupational and speech therapists have extensive experience in the practical application of rehabilitation techniques and interventions for spasticity
- We are proud that the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accredits our Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs at Dodd Hall and our Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs. CARF recognized our programs as meeting the highest standards in quality, safety and outcome measures, which provide risk-reduction and accountability in our patient care.
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center's rehabilitation program has consistently ranked among the best in the nation
- Since Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available