Helping you get your life back after stroke.
The Stroke Rehabilitation Program at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center provides comprehensive rehabilitative care for people who have experienced a stroke. Mobility, communication, swallowing and thinking abilities may be affected by stroke depending on where it occurs in the brain and the extent of injury.
Just as a stroke’s effects vary, so does the recovery process. As part of an academic medical center, we provide personalized care programs with evidence-based therapies to help you reach your highest level of recovery and quality of life.
We serve patients from young adult to geriatric and provide rehabilitative care for people affected by:
- Hemorrhagic stroke, when a blood vessel bursts and bleeds into the brain
- Ischemic stroke, when a clot blocks a blood vessel in the brain
- Other disorders that can cause damage to the brain, such as multiple sclerosis or brain tumors
Why choose The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center?
- Our therapy begins immediately after your stroke and continues through inpatient therapy and outpatient therapy after you've been discharged from the hospital
- We are proud that our Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs at Dodd Hall and our Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). CARF recognized our programs as meeting the highest standards in quality, safety and outcome measures, which provide risk-reduction and accountability in our patient care.
- Our inpatient stroke program at Dodd Hall was the first in Ohio to be awarded CARF accreditation
- We are the only rehabilitation program in central Ohio certified for both traumatic brain injury and stroke
- Our rehabilitation process includes a team of expert, healthcare professionals who work together to meet your specific goals
- You benefit from working with staff who have specialized training and certification in stroke related treatments and therapies
- We have the only facility in central Ohio to have a board-recognized specialist in swallowing disorders
- We offer a specialized educational series for you and your family that is dedicated to stroke recovery
- Our rehabilitation specialists have pioneered and refined important therapies and technologies related to stroke rehabilitation. One of these treatments for stroke is the use of Botox®. Given as an injection in very small amounts directly to a specific muscle, Botox® blocks the transmission of nerve impulses and helps relax spastic muscles.
- Since Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available