Helping you eat safely and nutritiously.
The Swallowing Evaluation and Treatment Services at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center help people who have difficulty swallowing. This problem is called dysphagia and can interfere with food or liquids getting from your mouth to your stomach. Our speech-language pathologists specialize in the treatment and evaluation of swallowing disorders. They will work with you to determine the cause of the swallowing problem and develop a personalized treatment plan to assure that you can eat safely and get proper nutrition.
Swallowing issues can affect people at any age.
We treat adolescent and adult patients with:
- Neurological diseases such as Parkinson's Disease, multiple sclerosis (MS) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Stroke, a blocked or bleeding blood vessel in the brain
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic injuries to the brain or body
- Critical illnesses in which death is possible or imminent
- Tracheostomy, a surgery on the neck to open a direct airway by an incision to the windpipe
- Ventilator dependency, requiring a device that assists with breathing for a prolonged period of time
Why choose The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center?
There are many important reasons to choose our programs and services:
- Our speech-language pathologists use comprehensive and evidence-based treatments to evaluate and treat swallowing disorders
- Our program has one of the few speech-language pathologists (SLPs) in the country who is a Board-Recognized Specialist in Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders (BRS-S)
- We are proud that our Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs at Dodd Hall and our Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). CARF recognized our programs as meeting the highest standards in quality, safety and outcome measures, which provide risk-reduction and accountability in our patient care.
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center's rehabilitation program has consistently ranked among the best in the nation
- Since Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available