How to prepare for your Ohio State Wexner Medical Center visit
Billing and insurance
Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center and our providers contract with many insurance companies – learn more about the insurances we accept. If you have insurance with of one of these companies, our billing offices will submit a claim for payment of services unless instructed not to. Before you schedule an appointment or procedure, always check with your insurance company to determine your policy’s benefits including any co-payments, deductibles and co-insurances due at time of service. When coming to your appointment, remember to bring a valid driver’s license or state-issued identification, your insurance card and payment such as cash, check or credit.
If you do not have insurance, payment for services can be made prior to your visit. Financial assistance is also available for qualified patients.
To take care of any financial needs you may have before your visit, we offer pre-registration for inpatient stays and procedures. The process takes about 10 minutes and should be completed no more than 30 days prior to your expected arrival.
There are two ways you can pre-register:
- You can contact pre-registration at 614-293-8200 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Our representatives will review your information, discuss any financial obligation and assist you with any additional questions you may have.
- If you have OSUMyChart, you can pre-register through your account. (Learn about OSUMyChart or log in.)
To pre-register, the following information is helpful to have on hand:
- Your driver’s license or state-issued identification
- Insurance card
- Emergency contact information
- The name and address of the provider that is referring you to Ohio State
- Appointment date and time
- Method of payment
What to bring to your visit
Be sure to bring these items:
- Driver’s license or state issued identification
- Insurance card
- Payment in the form of cash, check or credit card
- Doctor names and reports – names, addresses and phone numbers of doctors who are treating you or have referred you and reports of recent tests or treatments
- Personal health information – information about significant health events and any medication allergies you may have. If you have OSUMyChart, it will contain much of this information. If you do not have OSUMyChart, ask your Ohio State healthcare provider how you can create this health information account.
- Medications – a list of prescription medications, vitamins or supplements, including names, dosages and frequency of use (or empty bottles with the labels intact)
- Family health history – listing of significant conditions that affected family members directly related to you (parents, siblings, etc.)
- Questions – write out what you want to discuss with your doctor or nurse
- Containers - to avoid accidental loss, bring labeled and appropriate containers for eyeglasses, dentures or hearing aids
Valuables and personal belongings
We recommend that valuable personal belongings be left at home during your stay. If you have valuable items in your room, please send these items home with a family member or friend. If this is not possible, please ask your nurse to contact Security to store these items for you. If you choose to keep these items during your hospital stay, please know you are responsible to watch over them and keep them secure. Also, please do not leave them on your food trays or in your bed where they could be damaged or lost. Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center cannot be responsible for the loss of personal belongings.