We're happy to provide spiritual, communication and educational support services.
Chaplains serve as members of the care team, providing supportive pastoral, emotional and spiritual care. Our professional chaplains are theologically and clinically trained, and have special education and advanced training in ministering in the hospital setting.
If you would like a visit from a chaplain, prayer, a Bible or other sacred text from a specific faith tradition, communion or other religious, spiritual or pastoral support, please contact us.
- Department of Chaplaincy Main Campus - 614-293-8791 or 3-8791 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Department of Chaplaincy University Hospital East - 614-257-3255 or 7-3255 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- During any other time, call the hospital operator at 614-293-8000 or 3-8000.
Sanctuaries, open 24 hours a day, are located:
- Main campus – in the fifth floor Atrium (Rhodes Hall)
- University Hospital East – on 3 North
Worship services are held throughout the week and on special religious holidays.
- Ecumenical Worship takes place on the main campus Sundays at 10 a.m. in the Atrium.
- Roman Catholic Mass takes place Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m on the Main Campus, Sundays at 10 a.m. in the Atrium and on the first Friday of the month at noon in the University Hospital East Sanctuary.
- Muslim Community Prayer takes place on the main campus Fridays at 1:30 p.m. in the Atrium.
The Department of Chaplaincy and Clinical Pastoral Education also educates the next generation of pastors and chaplains through Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) programs and other education offerings. Learn more about Clinical Pastoral Education at Ohio State.
Interpreter ServicesThe Ohio State University Medical Center extends our commitment to personalized health care by meeting the unique cultural needs of our patients. Interpreters are available, if you have limited English proficiency or are deaf or hard-of-hearing. Please let your caregiver know verbally, in writing or by pointing to our “I speak posters” to help identify your language.
If you would like to have a medical interpreter throughout your appointment, please request this service while scheduling your appointment or let your healthcare team know at any time. Our services include on-site, telephone and video interpreters. Please contact Interpreter Services at 614-293-3369 or 3-3369.
For TTY and/or other auxiliary aids at:
- Dodd Hall, OSUCCC – James, Ross Heart Hospital and University Hospital: call Patient Experience at 614-293-8944 or 3-8944 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. All other hours, call the hospital operator at 614-293-8000 or 3-8000 and ask for the hospital administrative manager on duty.
- University Hospital East: call Patient Experience at 614-257-2310 or 7-2310 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. All other hours, call the hospital operator at 614-257-3000 or 7-3000 and ask for the administrative nursing supervisor.
Visitors who require service animals may take their animals to patient care areas with the exception of the intensive care unit. Service animals must remain leashed and with the visitor at all times. If you need a crate for a service animal, contact the Security Department at 614-293-8500 or 3-8500.
Library for Health Information
Ohio State's Library for Health Information can help you find trustworthy, valid information on any health topic. This information complements the health education you are receiving from your Ohio State healthcare providers. The library can help you understand more about health, illness and treatment choices, find out about alternative medicine and clinical trials and gain a better understanding of questions to ask your healthcare team.
The Library for Health Information is open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. You can also contact a staff member outside of these hours by email or leave a voicemail at 614-293-3707 or 3-3707. Information can be delivered to you within the hospital or by mail at no charge.