Special Issue: Call for Papers
Structural Approaches to Address Issues in Patient Safety
Deadline for 1-page Précis: October 1, 2018
Deadline for Manuscript Submission: December 14, 2018
Guest Editor: Susan D. Moffatt-Bruce, MD, FACS, The Ohio State University, email@example.com
Series Editor: Timothy R. Huerta, PhD, The Ohio State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Editors: Jennifer L. Hefner, PhD, The Ohio State University, email@example.com; Alison M. Aldrich, MSI, MPH, The Ohio State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are pleased to announce the topic for Volume 18 of Advances in Health Care Management, an annual research series published by Emerald Publishing Group. The topic is Structural Approaches to Address Issues in Patient Safety.
Funding agencies have sought to grow available research in the domain of patient safety. Donabedian’s model of Structure-Process-Outcome, as an initial lens through which safety issues have been explored, noted that Structure drives process; however, much of health management empirical research has focused on the Process and Outcomes and then attempted to reverse engineer the Structure that may reasonably explain that. Other models, such as the System Engineering Initiative for Patient Safety model (SEIPS), sought to offer a framework for understanding the structures, processes and outcomes in health care and their relationships. Advances in Healthcare Management seeks scholarship that will help to clarify the theoretic mechanisms of action that elucidate Structure’s role in creating Process, including literature surveys, case explorations and discussions of interventions to improve patient safety. Examples include:
- the physical environment and its effect on patient safety outcomes
- the role of healthcare worker performance and resilience in patient safety
- research on burnout from other sectors of the economy and the potential they offer for reframing our understanding of how we might intervene
- the role of culture in the Structure-Process-Outcome healthcare framework
- cases that explore root causes that can offer insight into a broader component of health care
- qualitative studies that explore the tension in clinicians as managers (i.e. hybrid leaders) and their implication for patient safety
- differential outcomes experienced by organizations that have a chief patient safety officer in comparison with those that do not
The précis is simply a proposal outlining the topic to allow the editors to make a judgement call as to whether a particular paper would fit the call.
Please email your one page précis to email@example.com. For more information, visit the Advances online submission system here.
- October 1, 2018: 1-page précis (e.g., outline or summary) due
- December 14, 2018: Manuscripts due
- January 30, 2019: Reviews returned to authors
- March 15, 2019: Revised final manuscripts due
- April 15, 2019: Final decisions; AHCM volume 18 delivered to publisher
- August 15, 2019: AHCM volume 18 published