About our Preoperative Assessment Clinic
Our commitment is to service excellence, patient safety and customer satisfaction. With the use of our multidisciplinary services, we will provide the critical checks and balance component to the preoperative process and will help surgeons at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center to increase the safety, efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the pre-surgical patient management process.
The OSU Peroperative Assessment Clinic (OPAC) accommodates most same day referring surgeon requests; each request is triaged with Anesthesia to ensure the appropriateness of the same day request. Please utilize the Referral Tip Sheet, which will guide you in knowing which patients should be referred to OPAC for a preoperative visit.
- OPAC is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Our first appointment is at 7:30 a.m. and our last appointment is at 2:45 p.m.
Benefits of the Preoperative Assessment Center
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Preoperative Assessment Center offers several benefits for you and your patients including:
- Timely, comprehensive preoperative assessment of medically complex patient population
- Patient data will be compiled and reconciled using established guidelines and will result in a clear course of action from the combined services caring for medically complex patient
- More efficient patient triage using a standardized preoperative screening tool
- One location for coordination of the patients’ entire preoperative assessment process
Services You and Your Patient Will Receive
- The Preoperative Assessment Center customizes training for your staff to utilize our services
- Preoperative medical history and physical
- Preoperative medical testing management and review, including EKG, lab, echo, stress testing, radiology, cardiac evaluation, sleep studies, other needed specialty consultation and blood bank management
- Anesthesia physical assessment, management and coordination including airway assessment and review of potential use of nerve blocks
- Anesthesia medical decision-making and recommendation
- Preoperative education
- Pain assessment and plan for immediate post-operative management, teaching and recommendations
- A detailed record report outlining findings and recommendations for the care and management of your patient
- Recommendation for management of non-anesthesia related aspects of your patient’s conditions during the pre- and post-operative period
- All patient data compiled and reconciled using established guidelines that will result in a clear course of action from the combined services caring for each patient
- Completed electronic medical record, which can be viewed in the IHIS/EPIC system under "encounters" and then "pre-operative assessment"
- Scanned outside medical records into IHIS
- Anesthesia alerts entered into IHIS