Dedication to Excellence

For more than 80 years, the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Science has established a tradition of excellence in ophthalmology. Our dedication to personalized care will maintain that level of excellence well into the future. Today, the Department of Ophthalmology sees more than 87,000 patients a year. Faculty are involved in a number of multi-center clinical trials funded by the National Eye Institute.

 

Department Timeline

StarlingLoving 3 (1963)

1914

Starling Ohio Medical College joined Ohio State and became The Ohio State University Medical College, and the Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology Department was established.

state street_wide

1929

Recognizing the need for specialization, the Department of Ophthalmology was officially formed and located on State Street.

university hospitals

1938

The State Street clinic was moved to the University Hospitals.

Faculty1965_eidted

1946

The eye clinic is moved to occupy a small space adjacent to the old emergency room.

havener_300

1959

William Havener, MD became the first full-time ophthalmologist. The eye clinic was expanded to a large central room for interviewing and refracting patients, a treatment room, a small classroom, and a visual field room.

UH_Clinic_2919

1975

With the number of patients growing from 1,900 to 16,000 in a year, the Department took up residence in the newly constructed Outpatient Clinic building.

Dublin photo

1996

To meet the needs of Columbus' increasing suburban population, the Department established two satellite clinics in Dublin, Ohio.

EEI Photo

2009

The Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Science moved to a new location across the Olentangy River with more than 28,000 square feet, patient exam facilities and a state-of-the-art surgery center.

Outpatient Care East Corner Hero

2012

A satellite clinic for diabetic eye screening was opened at CarePoint East.

Westerville photo

2018

In Summer 2018, The Department of Ophthalmology opened a third office in Westerville.