Medical Student Education
The Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery actively participates in the education of medical students. In addition to daily interactions, the department provides the following didactic lectures:
- Two one-hour lectures to first-year medical students about the diseases of the ear (part of the Integrated Pathway Med 1 - Neuroscience)
- Three one-hour lectures in Ambulatory Care Clerkship to third-year medical students about different aspects of otolaryngology (total of 18 lectures per year)
Third-year medical students
- Otolaryngology Selective (during Ambulatory Care Clerkship)
- Comprehensive Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Pediatric Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Adult Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Contemporary Comprehensive Care of Cancer Patient
- Away Elective in Otolaryngology
- International Elective in Otolaryngology
Medical students interested in completing an away rotation with our department should apply through The Ohio State University College of Medicine and the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities.
The department faculty members also contribute to the educational activities of the medical students during other rotations, such as pediatrics.
URM Away Rotation Scholarship
The Department of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery is offering three away rotation scholarships for under-represented minority medical students for the upcoming academic year. The $1,500 scholarship will be used to help offset cost for travel, lodging and other student needs.
Students applying for one of the three scholarships should be in their fourth year of medical school with plans to apply for an Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery (ENT) residency position; they should also be interested in rotating at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
All interested applicants must provide a letter of interest (no more than two pages), an updated CV and one letter of recommendation. All applications will be reviewed by Ohio State faculty.
Applicants should apply prior to the first day of their away rotation; early submission is encouraged. To submit your application or learn more information, contact Audrey Agner at Audrey.Agner@osumc.edu or Elaine Ortiz Sanchez at Elaine.OrtizSanchez@osumc.edu.
Research Opportunities for OSU Medical Students
There are several opportunities for Ohio State University medical students to participate in research in our department. More information can be found under our research pages. If you are interested in research with the Department of Otolaryngology, please contact Beth Miles-Markley or Jamie Wohrer at:
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Eye and Ear Institute
915 Olentangy River Road, Suite 4000
Columbus, OH 43212