Beginning at 6 p.m., March 11, 2022, mask guidance will be updated for The Ohio State University and The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center:
Our Wexner Medical Center clinical buildings fall under a different set of policies and procedures for masking than our research, education and administrative buildings.
For our research, education and administrative buildings, the university guidance on masking requirements applies.
CDC and ODH guidance is more restrictive for health care institutions than guidance for the general public or other business and educational settings. The table below outlines expectations for faculty, staff and learners, as well as patients, visitors and members of the public at our clinical facilities.
The guidance below applies only to Wexner Medical Center clinical settings:
- Clinical settings: Those areas which have direct, in-person patient care being provided and where patient interactions occur. This includes corridors, lobbies and nursing stations in our hospitals and outpatient/ambulatory clinics managed by the Wexner Medical Center or OSU Physicians. A full list of clinical buildings is provided at the bottom of this page.
Masking guidance for all individuals in WMC/COM clinical facilities
|Health care personnel while providing direct patient care (clinical care or entering any patient room)||
Vaccinated: Facemask and eye protection required
Unvaccinated: N95 or equivalent and eye protection required
|Any individual in a shuttle bus or form of public transportation||Facemask required|
(except for hospitalized patients when in patient room by themselves or if they have a contraindication to wearing facemask)
|Visitors/Family members||Facemask required|
|Contractors and vendors||Facemask required|
|Indoors in a public space (e.g., hallway, lobby, elevator, nursing station, etc.)||Facemask required|
|Indoors in a non-public space (e.g. breakrooms, administrative areas, etc.)||
Vaccinated: Facemask not required unless exposed to COVID-19 and asymptomatic*
Unvaccinated: Facemask required
|Indoors at Nisonger Center while providing childcare^||Facemask required|
|Outdoors at Nisonger Center while providing childcare^||Facemask not required except when within 6 feet of a student|
*Those who are immunocompromised or not up-to-date with COVID-19 vaccines should consider wearing facemasks at all times in health care settings.
^Note: Consistent and correct mask use for early-childhood education
When people wear a well-fitting mask correctly and consistently, they protect others as well as themselves. Early Childhood Education (ECE) program staff can model consistent and correct use for children ages 2 years and older in their care. Consistent and correct mask use by all people, especially those who are not up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccination or are not eligible, is especially important indoors and when physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Indoors: CDC recommends universal masking in ECE programs for everyone* two years of age and older, regardless of vaccination status.
- Outdoors: In general, people do not need to wear masks when outdoors. CDC recommends that people ages 2 years and older who are not up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccination or not eligible for vaccination wear a mask in crowded outdoor settings or during activities that involve sustained close contact with other people. People who are up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccination might choose to mask outdoors regardless of the level of transmission, particularly if they or someone in their household is immunocompromised, at increased risk for severe illness, or if someone in their household is unvaccinated.
List of clinical buildings:
- Brain and Spine Hospital
- Davis Outpatient Care
- Doan Hall
- Dodd Rehabilitation Hospital
- East Hospital/Talbot Hall
- Eye and Ear Institute
- Harding Hospital
- Havener Eye Institute Dublin
- Havener Eye Institute Westerville
- Healthy New Albany/Philip Heit Center
- James Cancer Hospital
- Jameson Crane Sports Medicine Institute
- Martha Morehouse Pavilion
- Martha Morehouse Tower
- McCampbell Hall (including Nisonger Center)
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Kenny Road
- Outpatient Care East
- Outpatient Care Gahanna
- Outpatient Care Lewis Center
- Outpatient Care Hilliard/Mill Run
- Outpatient Care New Albany
- Outpatient Care Pickerington
- Outpatient Care Stoneridge Dublin
- Outpatient Care Upper Arlington
- Outpatient Care Worthington
- Outreach Care – all sites
- Primary Care Crown Park
- Primary Care Dublin
- Primary Care New Albany
- Primary Care Thomas Rardin
- Primary Care Westerville
- Rhodes Hall
- Ross Heart Hospital
- Sports Medicine – all sites
- Stephanie Spielman Comprehensive Breast Cancer Center
- Transplant Outreach – all sites and YMCA Physical Therapy locations