Healthy eating is important for your body, especially during pregnancy. Your baby needs healthy foods for growth and development.
• Take folic acid in a prenatal vitamin or supplement each day.
• Eat a variety of healthy foods.
• Avoid unpasteurized dairy products and juices.
• Avoid prepared meats, like lunch meat and hot dogs, unless they are steaming hot.
• Avoid fish high in mercury, such as swordfish, king mackerel, shark, and tilefish.
• Limit caffeine and avoid alcohol.
• Limit the amount of sugar and unhealthy fats in the diet.
Alcohol and pregnancy
There is no safe amount of alcohol that can be used during pregnancy. Even small amounts can increase the risk of birth defects, learning problems, and other issues for your baby.
To learn more healthy tips, view the Buckeye Baby guide for care during your pregnancy.