About MeI am a medical oncologist and my 25-year career as an oncologist has been focused on creating cutting-edge treatments for patients with lung cancer. This is a disease with unacceptable outcomes, but there are many promising therapies today and on the horizon. I was rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction in 2016.
My research has been in the molecular biology of lung tumors, which includes understanding the genetic, proteomic and metabolic features of each patient’s cancer, and developing treatment and drugs that target specific tumor cells.
I’ve served as an investigator on multiple clinical trials, including the large phase III lung cancer trials, for the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG), one of the largest clinical cancer research organizations in the U.S. Additionally, I’ve authored more than 200 peer-reviewed publications, book chapters and articles. I have served on several National Cancer Institute (NCI) grant review panels and the NCI Board of Scientific Counselors.
In 2012, I came to Ohio State from Vanderbilt University to establish and direct the OSUCCC – James thoracic center. With our multidisciplinary team approach, we apply advanced molecular diagnostics and state-of-the-art therapeutics to provide personalized care every lung cancer patient. I also serve as a professor of internal medicine and hold the Barbara J. Bonner Chair in Lung Research. I currently serve as the President of the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC).
The collaborative spirit, team approach, dedicated patient care and enlightened leadership we enjoy at the OSUCCC – James all come together together to make this a great place to work – and a great place to receive treatment for cancer.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2016
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of America’s “Top Doctors” for 2017
- Best Doctor in America 2017
Specialties and conditions I treat
- Medical Oncology
- Lung Cancers
- Carcinoma, Non-Small-Cell Lung
- Small Cell Lung Carcinoma
Locations where I practice
Education and training
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins Medical Center
7/1/1986 - 6/30/1988
More about my work
National Cancer Institute
7/1/1988 - 6/30/1991
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine (Subspecialty: Medicine Oncology)
News about me
- First-Line Immunotherapy Treatment Can Improve Survival for Subset of Lung Cancer Patients
- Cancer Center to Partner With 25 Ohio Hospitals to Fight Endometrial Cancer in New Statewide Research Study
- Jeffrey Patrick, PharmD, Named Director of Ohio State Drug Development Institute
- Ohio State Launches Statewide Lung Cancer Research Initiative With Pelotonia Support
- James 5K Race Series to Benefit Ohio State Cancer Research Kicks off June 4
- Ohio State Receives Top Rating From National Cancer Institute — ‘Exceptional’ — Re-Designated As Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Araujo Oncogene
- Study of Super Responder Reveals Possible New Gene Target for Lung Cancer
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 03/28/2017, Dr. Carbone has reported financial relationships with the medical device, research and/or drug companies listed below. If you have questions about the relationships listed below, please ask the faculty member. If you have questions about how these relationships are monitored by The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, please contact our Compliance Office at 614-293-7802.
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Clovis Oncology
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Synta Pharmaceuticals
- Ariad Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Guardant Health
- Johnson & Johnson
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd