Mark your calendar and tell your friends and family. Ohio State's Healthy Community Day is Sunday, September 16, 2018, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Jerome Schottenstein Center.
Here's a list of most frequently asked questions about Healthy Community Day:
1. Do I need to pre-register?
No. Registration occurs on-site on Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018.
2. Is there a cost?
No. Everything is FREE – the health screenings, food, entertainment and parking. It’s all free! It’s our way of giving back to our community.
3. Do the screenings take place at the Jerome Schottenstein Center?
Yes. All screenings take place inside the Jerome Schottenstein Center in private exam rooms.
4. Do I have to provide my name and address?
No. The screenings are confidential. But if you do provide your name and contact information it allows us to get in contact with you after the event to discuss possible follow up or doctors you should see based on your results.
5. Can I bring my children?
Yes, we have entertainment and activities for people of all ages.
6. Can I choose what screenings I receive?
Yes. We do ask all participants to get a blood draw, Blood Pressure (BP) and Body Mass Index (BMI) check — and we’ll recommend screenings that would be beneficial to you based on a clinical review of your blood, BMI and BP results — but in the end, it’s all up to you.
7. Should I bring my medication?
Yes, it would help our physicians discuss your results and offer a thorough consultation.
8. What’s in the health expo area?
Local health and human services groups will be available to answer questions, provide demonstrations, let you know about other free services you might be eligible for and free healthy food and other giveaways.
9. What sort of entertainment will you have?
This year’s entertainment includes music, healthy cooking demonstrations and more.
Entertainment Schedule11:00 a.m.
Welcome to Healthy Community Day
David McQuaid, CEO, OSU Wexner Medical Center and
Dr. K. Craig Kent, Dean, The Ohio State University College of Medicine
FBA (Favorite Buckeye Anthems) Rap Group
Zumba (Melinda Rhodes-DiSalvo)
Healthy Cooking Demo (Plaza)
STRONG by Zumba (Melinda Rhodes-DiSalvo)
Divine Impact Fitness
Narcan Training - Sectio Section 134
DJ Mike - Main Stage
10. Do I need to fast for any of the screenings?
No, the tests are accurate without fasting.
11. How long will the screenings take?
Depending on the screenings you select, it can take at least one hour for full screenings and results.
12. Is there an age requirement for the screenings?
You must be 18 years or older for the adult screening.
13. Is the Jerome Schottenstein Center on the COTA bus route?
Yes, it is. Please visit cota.com/schedules to find the right bus and schedule for you.
COTA Line 1 stops in front of the Schottenstein Center every 15 minutes.
14. Is there free or discounted transportation to the event?
Yes. EmpowerBus will offer FREE transportation at 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. from the following locations:
- Community Refugee & Immigration Services (CRIS) Ohio & US Together, Inc.
- St. Stephen’s Community House
- Huckleberry House and Star House
- Jewish Family Services
- United Methodist Church & Community Development for All People
- Reeb Avenue Center
To claim this offer, visit: https://www.lyft.com/invite/OSUHEALTHY18
15. Why is Healthy Community Day important to me and my community?
Even though basic health screenings require some of your time, they’re well worth the effort. You’ll likely save money and stay healthier in the long run because these screenings help prevent more severe health problems that could stick with you throughout your life. Whether you have health insurance or not, anyone can benefit from the free health screenings. And you’ll be amazed at how much you learn about healthy living, nutrition and health resources at our community expo.