Department of Neuroscience
Department of Neuroscience, Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
535C Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210-1240
Current Research: To investigate the molecular basis for this autoimmune predisposition, the Guerau-de-Arellano laboratory determined the miRNA profile of naïve CD4+ T cells collected from MS patients and identified several altered miRNAs. They are currently investigating how these miRNAs impact T cell phenotype and mediate susceptibility to autoimmunity.
Research Techniques:Students in the Guerau-de-Arellano laboratory currently have the opportunity to learn the following techniques:
- Immunological techniques: Flow cytometry, ELISA and proliferation assay
- Molecular biology techniques: RNA isolation, miRNA assays, Taqman Real-Time PCR and expression profiling
- Tissue culture techniques: Culture of primary immune cell cultures and cell lines
- Preparation of DNA constructs for microinjection/generation of transgenic mice
- Models of autoimmune disease (diabetes and autoimmune polyendocrine syndrome-1/AIRE deficiency)
- Thymic epithelial cell isolation