Open for harvest to patients, caregivers and community members this season
We’re excited to announce that The Ross Heart Hospital Community Garden has even more to offer this year than in previous seasons. This community garden was established in 2015 to give patients the tools they need to improve their own health, educating them in healthy cooking and facilitating discussion between community members and expert clinicians on how a nutrient-dense diet can improve overall wellness.
This year, classes will be held weekly from May through mid-September, and they will be available to Ross Heart Hospital patients, caregivers and community members. All classes are free to attend. You won’t want to miss this.
During our first class of the season, “The Truth Behind Food Labels,” attendees will become better-informed consumers as staff dietitian Mary Mosquera Cochran explains how to interpret food nutrition facts, best-buy dates and expiration dates. Later in the season, class members will learn techniques such as the best way to grill vegetables, advanced knife skills, and some nitty-gritty food science, with Chef Kuchan. Have you ever wondered how nutrition may affect how we sleep? Participants will have the rare opportunity to speak with pulmonologist and sleep expert Dr. Rami Khayat during our “Garden-Side Chat.” Confused about buzzwords like natural/organic/Non-GMO? We’ll get there, too! All of this and so much more is featured in this season’s classes.
Ross Garden 2018 Monthly Classes
Wednesdays from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Ross Garden (680 Vernon Tharp St.)
Classes will be held in Howlett Hall, Room 116, with harvesting sessions immediately after class.
Harvest sessions will begin in June immediately following each class.
*Classes subject to change. You may attend class as your schedule permits, but you must attend the class prior to harvesting from the garden.
May 2018 Classes
May 9, Healthy Weeknight Meals
May 16, We Got the Beets!
May 23, Summer Grilling and the Living is Easy
May 30, Heart-Healthy Desserts
June 2018 Classes
June 6, Advanced Knife Skills
June 13, Ornamental Garden Tour
June 20, Ask a Pharmacist
June 27, Composting Made Simple
July 2018 Classes
July 4, There will be no class or harvesting this week
July 11, In the Kitchen with Jacob Kuchan
July 18, Cooking with Brew with Chef David Brue
July 25, An Evening with Dr. Ravi Tripathi
August 2018 Classes
August 1, Cauliflower Pizza Crust?
August 8 Beating the Blues
August 15, Natural/Organic/Non-GMO
August 22, Functional Foods
August 29, Garden-Side Chat, Sleep Issues
September 5, How time flies!
- Classes will be held weekly from May through the middle of September
- All classes will start at 6pm and will be held in Howlett Hall, 680 Vernon Tharp Street on the west side of campus
- Parking Information: All parking at the Ohio State University Campus is administered by CampusParc. There are two surface lots with Pay-by-Plate located conveniently next to Howlett Hall. Please access CampusParc’s rate and fee schedules here so you can make adequate plans for parking while you attend classes!
- Make sure to check in with one of our staff members at each class
- What to Bring to each class:
- Ross Community Garden harvest bag (this will be provided to you during the first class)
- Garden tools: gloves, scissors, clippers. (We have a limited number available to borrow)
- Sun protection, hat, sunscreen
- Drinking water
- Participants will be asked to sign a participation waiver and optional media release form.
Contact us at 614-293-8797 or email us at with any questions at Rossgarden@osumc.edu with any questions.