Dr. Kathi J. Kemper was recruited to Ohio State in October 2012 from Wake Forest University, where she held the Caryl J. Guth Chair for Complementary and Integrative Medicine and served as the founding director of the Center for Integrative Medicine. She also was a professor in the departments of Social Science/Health Policy and Pediatrics and held appointments in Family and Community Medicine, Regenerative Medicine, Bioethics, the Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Hypertension and Vascular Research Center.
Before joining Wake Forest, Dr. Kemper was the founding director of the Center for Holistic Pediatric Education and Research at Boston Children's Hospital and associate professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Kemper is recognized internationally as the leading authority on complementary therapies for children, and is frequently consulted by media, including the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Newsweek, ABC News, The Wall Street Journal, Readers' Digest, Redbook, First for Women and USA Today.
- 1978 University of Chicago. BA with Honors (Human Behavior)
- 1982 University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. MD
- 1983 University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. MPH (Maternal and Child Health) and Preventive Medicine Resident
- 1986 University of Wisconsin, Madison, Pediatric Resident (outstanding resident award)
- 1988 Yale. New Haven. Robert Wood Johnson General Academic Pediatric Fellowship
- Yale (1986-1988)
- University of Washington (1988-1998)
- Harvard Medical School/Boston Children's Hospital (1998-2001)
- Wake Forest University Health Sciences (2001-2012)
Dr. Kemper has more than 150 peer-reviewed research publications and has been the principal investigator for both National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Foundation grants.
- Founder, Ambulatory (now Academic) Pediatric Association Special Interest Group on CAM 1996
- President, Ambulatory (now Academic) Pediatric Association 1998-1999
- Founder and Chair, Longwood Herbal Task Force, Harvard Medical School 1998
- Macy’s Follow a Leader Award, Boston, 2000
- Mentor of the Year Award, WFUHS Women’s Health Center of Excellence, 2007
- Founding Chair, Section for Integrative Medicine, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2008
- Integrative Pediatric Council Leadership Award, 2008
- The Holistic Pediatrician, Harper Collins, 1996 (2nd edition, HarperQuill, 2002)
- Mental Health, Naturally, March, 2010, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Addressing ADD Naturally, October 2010, Xlibris Corporation