Shoulder replacement surgery from the experts at Ohio State can mean an end to shoulder pain.
Who needs a shoulder replacement?
Shoulder pain can affect adults of all ages and make it difficult to stay active and perform daily tasks. Nonsurgical therapies often help, but sometimes a shoulder replacement is necessary. Your doctor may recommend a shoulder replacement if you have:
- Arthritis that doesn’t improve with the help of nonsurgical therapies such as ice, rest, anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy, a brace or occasional cortisone injections.
- A fracture that cannot be repaired with surgery.
- A large rotator cuff tear that cannot be repaired with surgery.
Shoulder replacement surgery replaces worn-out or damaged parts of the shoulder joint with synthetic materials. The surgery can end your shoulder pain while improving your range of motion and increasing your strength.
Shoulder replacement surgery at Ohio State can help you get your life back.
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, our experienced team of shoulder specialists takes time to evaluate your shoulder pain and create your personalized care plan. Depending on the condition of your shoulder and your medical history, you may be a candidate for:
- Total shoulder replacement, which replaces the original ball-and-socket surfaces of the shoulder with synthetic materials.
- Reverse shoulder replacement, which reverses the position of the joint’s ball and socket. This may be an option when:
- the rotator cuff is too damaged to support the new joint
- a previous shoulder replacement failed
- a person has experienced significant bone loss due to arthritis
Our orthopedic surgeons are innovators and leaders in their field, often providing access to the latest surgical techniques before they’re widely available. They’ll work with you to determine the best shoulder replacement surgery for you and develop a personalized treatment plan. For example, they’ll use a computed tomography (CT)-based 3D modeling system to customize your new shoulder joint so that it fits your unique anatomy.
Why choose Ohio State for shoulder replacement surgery?
At the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center, we’re committed to making sure your shoulder replacement surgery is a success.
- Our free Buckeye Joint Camp program provides videos and checklists to ensure you know what to expect before, during and after your shoulder replacement. This includes ways to protect your new shoulder joint.
- The Ohio State MyHealth app can help you with medication reminders, health-tracking tasks, relevant educational content and periodic check-ins with your provider.
- Our experienced physical therapists will work with you after surgery to make sure you meet your goals for pain relief and range of motion.
- Our team is always available to answer your questions and make sure you have the information you need before and after surgery.