Comprehensive Spine Center
Assistant Professor, Department of Neurological Surgery
Director, Division of Degenerative and Deformity Spine
Director, Spinal Surgery Fellowship Program
Faculty Affiliate, Chronic Brain Injury
College of Medicine
Department of Neurological Surgery
Comprehensive Spine Center
543 Taylor Ave., Suite 1029
Columbus, OH 43203
N1021 Doan Hall
410 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
- Degenerative spinal conditions
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery
- Spinal deformity
- Spinal cord injury
- Peripheral nerve injury
- Stem cells
Current Research: Dr. Farhadi’s laboratory research is focused on developing and validating small animal models of central and peripheral nervous system injury that can be used to test the potential of stem-cell implantation to enhance functional recovery. Cultured stem cells differentiated along myelinating glial paths — either oligodendroglial or Schwann cell — are being transplanted at various stages and time points following injury along with growth factor support to determine whether locomotor activity and other functional outcome measures can be improved. The results and conclusions drawn from such studies will help guide the rational design of human trials evaluating the clinical potential of stem-cell therapies.
Enrolling Clinical Trials:
- Spinal Cord Injury Neuroprotection with Glyburide - NCT02524379
- Multicenter Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of VX-210 in Subjects with Acute Traumatic Cervical Spinal Cord Injury - NCT02669849
- Multicenter, Prospective, Single Arm Study of Patients Undergoing a Two or Three Level ACDF Using ViviGen® Cellular Bone Matrix in Conjunction with Cervical Allograft Spacers and DePuy Synthes Spine Anterior Cervical Plate Systems - NCT02814825
- Prospective Multicenter Follow-up of Patients Undergoing Instrumented Thoracic and Lumbar Arthrodesis Supplemented by the Implanet Jazz SystemTM - NCT02411799
- Prospective Follow-up of Elderly Patients Undergoing Instrumented Lumbar Arthrodesis Supplemented by the Implanet Jazz System
- Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes Following Unilateral or Bilateral Posterior Fixation in Minimally Invasive Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusions - NCT01996371
- Spinal Arthrodesis and Spinal Arthroplasty Database - NCT01979094
MPH: University of London
MD/PhD: McGill University
Residency: Neurological Surgery, University of Toronto
Fellowship: Peripheral Nerve, Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Fellowship: Complex Spine Surgery, Jackson Memorial Hospital
- 2017: Research grant for biomechanical cadaver study in collaboration with the University of Iowa (Implanet America Inc)
- 2013: Lawrence J. Mervis, MD, Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Neurological Surgery
Editorial Activities/Medical Journals:
- J Neurotrauma, 2013-present
- Spinal Cord, 2013-present
- World Neurosurgery, 2015-present
Viswanathan, VK, Hatef, J, Aghili, S, Minnema, A, Farhadi, HF. Comparative Utility of Dynamic and Static Imaging in the Management of Lumbar Spondylolisthesis. World Neurosurg. 2018; :. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2018.06.066. PubMed PMID:29929030 .
Viswanathan, VK, Minnema, AJ, Farhadi, HF. Surgical management of adult type 1 split cord malformation. Report of two cases with literature review. J Clin Neurosci. 2018;52 :119-121. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2018.03.029. PubMed PMID:29602607 .
Ryu, JC, Tooke, K, Malley, SE, Soulas, A, Weiss, T, Ganesh, N et al.. Role of proNGF/p75 signaling in bladder dysfunction after spinal cord injury. J. Clin. Invest. 2018;128 (5):1772-1786. doi: 10.1172/JCI97837. PubMed PMID:29584618PubMed Central PMC5919823.
Ngwenya, LB, Mazumder, S, Porter, ZR, Minnema, A, Oswald, DJ, Farhadi, HF et al.. Implantation of Neuronal Stem Cells Enhances Object Recognition without Increasing Neurogenesis after Lateral Fluid Percussion Injury in Mice. Stem Cells Int. 2018;2018 :4209821. doi: 10.1155/2018/4209821. PubMed PMID:29531536 PubMed Central PMC5818962.
Viswanathan, VK, Kukreja, S, Minnema, AJ, Farhadi, HF. Prospective assessment of the safety and early outcomes of sublaminar band placement for the prevention of proximal junctional kyphosis. J Neurosurg Spine. 2018;28 (5):520-531. doi: 10.3171/2017.8.SPINE17672. PubMed PMID:29424677 .
Farhadi, HF, Kukreja, S, Minnema, A, Vatti, L, Gopinath, M, Prevedello, L et al.. Impact of Admission Imaging Findings on Neurological Outcomes in Acute Cervical Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury. J. Neurotrauma. 2018;35 (12):1398-1406. doi: 10.1089/neu.2017.5510. PubMed PMID:29361876 .
Viswanathan, VK, Manoharan, SR, Do, H, Minnema, A, Shaddy, SM, Elder, JB et al.. Clinical and Radiologic Outcomes After Fenestration and Partial Wall Excision of Idiopathic Intradural Spinal Arachnoid Cysts Presenting with Myelopathy. World Neurosurg. 2017;105 :213-222. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2017.05.136. PubMed PMID:28578118 .
Lee, YS, Paeng, SH, Farhadi, HF, Lee, WH, Kim, ST, Lee, KS et al.. The effectiveness of infrared thermography in patients with whiplash injury. J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2015;57 (4):283-8. doi: 10.3340/jkns.2015.57.4.283. PubMed PMID:25932296 PubMed Central PMC4414773.
Kunte, H, Farhadi, HF, Sheth, KN, Simard, JM, Kronenberg, G. Sulfonylureas--a novel treatment to reduce tissue damage after acute spinal cord injury?. Lancet Neurol. 2015;14 (4):352. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(15)70013-X. PubMed PMID:25792091 PubMed Central PMC4701047.
Manoharan, SR, Shaw, AB, Arnold, CA, Farhadi, HF. Infiltrative intramuscular myxoma of the cervical spine: a case report. Spine J. 2015;15 (1):e1-4. doi: 10.1016/j.spinee.2014.09.008. PubMed PMID:25264316 .