Program Director of Transplant Hepatology
Program Director, Transplant Hepatology, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
Department of Internal Medicine Core Liaison for Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
North 235 Doan Hall
410 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210-1240
- Acute Liver Failure
- Acute on Chronic Liver Failure
- Healthcare Delivery and Transitions of Care
- Viral Hepatitis
- A Multi-Center Group to Study Acute Liver Failure Study NIDDK Grant number: 5U01DK058369-14
- 3/2016: 13C-Methacetin Breath Test for the Prediction of Outcome in Acute Liver Failure (ALF-MBT)
- OCR002-HE209: Multicenter, Randomized Phase 2B Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of OCR-002 (ornithine phenylacetate) in Hospitalized Patients with Cirrhosis and Associated Hyperammonemia with an Episode of Hepatic Encephalopathy (STOP-HE Study)
- A Prospective, Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing Blood Product Use and Bleeding Events During and After Endoscopic or Neurosurgical Procedures in Patients with Cirrhosis and Coagulopathy: Rotational Thromboelastrography (ROTEM) versus Conventional Therapy
- A Phase 3b, Multicenter, Open-Label Study to Investigate the Efficacy and Safety of Ledipasvir/Sofosbuvir, With or Without Ribavirin, in HCV Infected Subjects Who Have Failed Prior Treatment With Sofosbuvir-based Therapies; Gilead
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-controlled, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of ABT-493/ABT-530 in Adults with Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Genotype 2 Infection (ENDURANCE-2); AbbVie
- A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Dose-Finding, Clinical Trial Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of Obeticholic Acid in Subjects with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis; Intercept
- Medical degree: The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Residency - Internal Medicine Chief Residency: The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Residency - Internal Medicine Residency and Internship: The Ohio State University
- Fellowship - Transplant Hepatology: University of California, San Francisco Hospital
- Fellowship - Digestive Diseases: The Ohio State University
- Peck JR, Latchana N, Michaels A, Hanje AJ, Hinton A, Elkhammas E, Black S, Mumtaz K. “Diagnosis of morbid obesity may not impact healthcare utilization for orthotopic liver transplantation: A Propensity matched study.” World J Hepatol - Accepted.
- Smart L, Mumtaz K, Scharpf D, O’Bleness Gray N, Traetow D, Black S, Michaels AJ, Elkhammas E, Kirkpatrick R, Hanje AJ. “Rotational thromboelastometry or conventional coagulation tests in liver transplantation: comparing blood loss, transfusions, and cost annals of hepatology.” Ann Hepatol - Accepted.
- Beal EW, Tumin D, Conteh LF, Hanje AJ, Michaels AJ, Hayes D Jr, Black SM, Mumtaz K. “Impact of recipient and donor obesity match on the outcomes of liver transplantation: All matches are not perfect.” J Transplant. 2016;2016:9709430.
- Mumtaz K, Metwally S, Modi RM, Patel N, Tumin D, Michaels AJ, Hanje J, El-Hinnawi A, Hayes D Jr, Black SM. “Impact of transjugular intrahepatic porto-systemic shunt on post liver transplantation outcomes: Study based on the United Network for Organ Sharing database.” World J Hepatol. 2017 Jan 18;9(2):99-105.
- Karvellas CJ, Cardoso FS, Gottfried M, Reddy KR, Hanje AJ, Ganger D, Lee WM; US Acute Liver Failure Study Group. “HBV-associated acute liver failure after immunosuppression and risk of death.” Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017 Jan;15(1):113-122.
- Fix OK, Liou I, Karvellas CJ, Ganger DR, Forde KA, Subramanian RM, Boylan A, Hanje J, Stravitz RT, Lee WM; Acute Liver Failure Study Group. “Development and Pilot of a checklist for management of acute liver failure in the intensive care unit.” PLoS One. 2016 May 13;11(5):e0155500.
- Lee BC, Li F, Hanje AJ, Mumtaz K, Boudoulas KD, Lilly SM. “Effectively screening for coronary artery disease in patients undergoing orthotopic liver transplant evaluation.” J Transplant. 2016;2016:7187206.
- Reuben A, Tillman H, Fontana RJ, Davern T, McGuire B, Stravitz RT, Durkalski V, Larson AM, Liou I, Fix O, Schilsky M, McCashland T, Hay JE, Murray N, Shaikh OS, Ganger D, Zaman A, Han SB, Chung RT, Smith A, Brown R, Crippin J, Harrison ME, Koch D, Munoz S, Reddy KR, Rossaro L, Satyanarayana R, Hassanein T, Hanje AJ, Olson J, Subramanian R, Karvellas C, Hameed B, Sherker AH, Robuck P, Lee WM. “Outcomes in adults with acute liver failure between 1998 and 2013: An observational cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2016 Jun 7;164(11):724-32.
- Beal, EB, Dittmar, KM , Hanje AJ, MD, Michaels, AJ, Conteh L, Davidson, G, Black, SM, Bloomston, MP, Schmidt,CR. “Pretransplant locoregional therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: evaluation of explant pathology and overall survival.” Front Oncol. 2016;6:143.
- Majdalany BS, Elliott ED, Michaels AJ, Hanje AJ, Saad Wael EA. “Radiofrequency wire recanalization of chronically thrombosed TIPS.” Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2016;39:1040-4.
- Ofei SY, Gariepy C, Hanje AJ, Sisk T, Daniels CJ, Zaidi AN. “Liver fibrosis in adults with fontan palliation: Do common screening studies predict disease severity?” Int J Cardiol. 2015;115:174-5.
- Beal EW, Albert S, McNally M, Shirley L, Hanje AJ, Michaels A, Black S, Bloomston M, Schmidt C. “Indeterminate nodules discovered by surveillance imaging of the cirrhotic liver and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma.” J Surg Oncol. 2014;110:967-9.
- Chamarthi S, Raterman B, Mazumder R, Michaels A, Oza V, Hanje AJ, Bolster B, Jin N, White RD, Kolipaka A. “Rapid acquisition technique for MR elastography of the liver.” Magn Reson Imaging. 2014;32:679-83.
- Chen W, Rock JB, Yeasley MM, Hanje AJ, Wendy L Frankel. “Collagen immunohistochemical stains may be helpful to stage fibrosis in the liver.” Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2014;22:735-40.
- Kast KL, Ansley K, Skillman M, Hanje AJ, Gholam PM, Popp G, Schiltz N, Sanchez E, Woodside KJ. “The effects of social support on liver transplant outcomes.” Am J Transplant. 2014;14(Suppl 2):92.
- Hanje AJ, Yao FY. “Current approach to down-staging of hepatocellular carcinoma prior to liver transplantation.” Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2008;13:234-40.
- Hanje AJ, Chalasani N. “How common is chronic liver disease from acute drug induced liver injury?” Gastroenterology. 2007;132:2067-8.
- Hanje AJ, Patel T. “Preoperative evaluation of patients with liver disease.” Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007;4:266-76.
- Hanje AJ, Pell LJ, Votolato NA, Frankel WL, Kirkpatrick RB. “Case report: fulminant hepatic failure due to duloxetine hydrochloride.” Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;4:912-7.
- Hanje AJ, Fortune B, Song M, Hill DB, McClain CJ. “The use of selected nutritional supplements and complementary and alternative medicine in liver disease.” Nutr Clin Pract. 2006;21:255-72.
- Hanje AJ, Shamp JL, Thomas FB, Meis GM. “Thalidomide-induced severe hepatotoxicity.” Pharmacotherapy. 2006;26:1018-22.
Controversies in Hepatology: The Experts Analyze Both Sides. N-Acetylcysteine for all non-acetaminophen acute liver failure. October 2010. Editor: Donald Jensen, M.D.. Publisher: PNS & WSS Incorporated dba SLACK Incorporated, Delaware Corporation, 6900 Grove Road, Thorofare, New Jersey 08086.
- Master Clinician 2012-2013
- Inpatient Faculty Teacher of the Year 2012-2013
- Inpatient Faculty Teacher of the Year 2011-2012
- Excellence in Teaching 2011-2012
- Teacher of the Year 2014-2015
- Teacher of the Year 2010-2011
- Inpatient Faculty Teacher of the Year 2010-2011
- Inpatient Faculty Teacher of the Year 2009-2010
- Excellence in Teaching 2009-2010