Director, Heart Failure Clinical Research
Director, Heart Failure Clinical Research
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
Department of Internal Medicine
473 W. 12th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
- LVAD long-term management strategies
- Advanced heart failure phase II and III trials
- Surveillance and management of cardiac transplant patients
- Remote hemodynamic monitoring
- Remote Hemodynamic Monitoring to Manage Fluid Balance in Hemodialysis Patients
- Utilizing the Electronic Medical Record to Identify High-Risk Heart Failure Patients
- Cardiac Evaluation of Pre-Kidney Transplant Patients
- Genetically Targeted Therapy for the Prevention of Symptomatic Atrial Fibrillation in Patients with Heart Failure (GENETIC AF)
- Predischarge Initiation of Ivbradine in the Management of Heart Failure (PRIME-HF)
- Correlation of a Novel Noninvasive Electronic Tool for Measuring Thoracic Impedance and Cardiac Motion with Clinical Status in Congestive Heart Failure
- Outcomes AlloMap Registry (OAR) study and sub study: Utility of Donor-Derived Cell-free DNA in Association with Gene-Expression Profiling (AlloMap) in Heart Transplant Recipients (D-OAR)
- Evaluation of the EasySense System in Congestive Heart Failure
Phase IIa, IIb and III clinical trials
Abbott Medical (formerly St Jude Medical)
- Emani S. “Remote monitoring to reduce heart failure readmissions.” Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2017 Feb;14(1):40-47.
- Emani S. “Improving functional capacity in mechanical circulatory support patients: The need for speed?” J Heart Lung Transplant. 2017 Jan;36(1):22-23.
- Maltais S, Kilic A, Nathan S, Keebler M, Emani S, Ransom J, Katz JN, Sheridan B, Brieke A, Egnaczyk G, Entwistle JW 3rd, Adamson R, Stulak J, Uriel N, O'Connell JB, Farrar DJ, Sundareswaran KS, Gregoric I; PREVENT Study Investigators. “PREVENtion of HeartMate II Pump Thrombosis Through Clinical Management: The PREVENT multi-center study.” J Heart Lung Transplant. 2017 Jan;36(1):1-12.
- Emani S, Tumin D, Foraker RE, Hayes D Jr, Smith SA. “Impact of insurance status on heart transplant wait-list mortality for patients with left ventricular assist devices.” Clin Transplant. 2017 Feb;31(2).
- Lampert BC, Emani S. “Remote hemodynamic monitoring for ambulatory left ventricular assist device patients.” J Thorac Dis. 2015 Dec;7(12):2165-71.
- Ravi Y, Campagna R, Rosas PC, Essa E, Hasan AK, Higgins RS, Emani S, Sai-Sudhakar CB. “Successful heart transplantation using a donor heart afflicted by takotsubo cardiomyopathy.” Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2016 Jan;29(1):73-4.
- Emani S, Meyer M, Palm D, Holzmeister J, Haas GJ. “Ularitide: a natriuretic peptide candidate for the treatment of acutely decompensated heart failure.” Future Cardiol. 2015 Sep;11(5):531-46.
- Kilic A, Emani S, Sai-Sudhakar CB, Higgins RS, Whitson BA. “Donor selection in heart transplantation.” J Thorac Dis. 2014 Aug;6(8):1097-1104.
- Eckman PM, Dhungel V, Mandras S, Brisco MA, Emani S, Duval S, Lindenfeld J, Sulemanjee N, Sokos GG, Feldman J. “Sexual function after left ventricular assist device.” J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 May 14;61(19):2021-2.
- Emani S, Brewer RJ, John R, Slaughter MS, Lanfear DE, Ravi Y, Sundareswaran KS, Farrar DJ, Sai-Sudhakar CB. “Patients with low compared with high body mass index gain more weight after implantation of a continuous-flow left ventricular assist device.” J Heart Lung Transplant. 2013 Jan;32(1):31-5.
- Emani S, Abraham WT. “Transvenous Phrenic nerve stimulation - a novel therapy for central sleep apnoea in heart failure.” US Cardiology. 2012 Feb;9(1):53-56.
- Emani S, Binkley PF. "Mind-body medicine in chronic heart failure: a translational science challenge.” Circulation. Heart Failure. 2010 Nov;3(6):715.
- Lacombe V, Viatchenko-Karpinski S, Terentyev D, Sridhar A, Emani S, Bonagura J, Feldman D, Gyorke S, Carnes C. “Mechanisms of impaired calcium handling underlying subclinical diastolic dysfunction in diabetes.” Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007 Nov;293(5):R1787-R1797.
- Emani SM, Shah AS, Bowman MK, White DC, Emani S, Glower DD, Koch WJ. “Right ventricular targeted gene transfer of a beta-adrenergic receptor kinase inhibitor improves ventricular performance after pulmonary artery banding.” J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004 March;127(3):787-793.
- Emani SM, Shah AS, Bowman MK, Emani S, Wilson K, Glower DD, Koch WJ. “Catheter-based intracoronary myocardial adenoviral gene delivery: Importance of intraluminal seal and infusion flow rate.” Mol Ther. 2003;8(2):306-313.
As a cardiologist at Ohio State, I specialize in advanced heart failure, cardiac transplantation and other areas of mechanical heart support. I am passionate about my career because of the cutting-edge treatments and advancements in cardiovascular technology that have the ability to dramatically improve patients’ lives. We have many treatments and technologies available for patients, so we take the time to understand each patient to find the best possible treatment. In doing so, we make our patients and their families a valuable part of our care team.
The collaborative environment at Ohio State allows experts from many fields to work together for the successful treatment of every patient. Because we are an academic medical center, we have access to resources and research that aren’t available elsewhere.
- Medical degree: The Ohio State University
- Residency: Internal Medicine: Barnes-Jewish Hospital
- Fellowship - Cardiovascular Medicine: The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Fellowship - Heart Failure: The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Charles A. Bush Research Award, 2013 (given to the cardiology fellow who exemplifies research accomplishments and potential)
- Ohio State’s cardiology primary investigator for the newest mechanical heart pumps
- Lectured at several national and international conferences
- Louis H Mendelson Award in Cardiology, Ohio State Division of Cardiology, 2006