The Department of Urology is dedicated to excellence.
Our vision is to become a transformative urologic practice.
Our mission is to alleviate patient suffering from urologic disorders through an integrative model of extraordinary clinical care, patient-centered discovery and educational innovation in service of the citizens of Ohio and beyond.
History of the Department of Urology
The history of urology at The Ohio State University began when Dr. William N. Taylor was appointed assistant professor of Urology in the Department of Surgery in 1917.
As noted in The Ohio State University College of Medicine 1934-1958 yearbook, "The period from 1917-1933 was a time of indecision, in so far as the establishment of a clinical unit was concerned.
Early in these years, those in authority did not believe such a separate section was necessary or would add to the teaching of urology and the care of patients. It was thought that the teaching of urology should continue on a didactic basis and that the clinical services of a urologist should be used only on a consulting basis. Authority was finally granted in the ‘20s to establish a Section of Genito-Urinary Diseases. There were three local institutions in which units were organized and manned. At St. Francis Hospital, the work was assigned to Dr. Louis J. Roth, who directed the teaching there for 22 years. This institution, with its wealth of clinical material, has unfortunately closed its doors. Another section was organized by Dr. John E. Hoberg at Children’s Hospital. Those with the third service at the University Hospital constituted the original nucleus of the Division of Urology, which was organized in 1952 with Dr. Taylor as chief."
Dr. Taylor served for 41 years and was awarded Professor Emeritus in recognition of his service.
Our Timeline of Establishment
In 1960, Chester C. Winter, MD, was named professor and director of Ohio State’s Division of Urology. Dr. Winter received his MD at the University of Iowa. His internship was performed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. He received his urology training at the University of California and was assistant professor of Surgery and Urology at that medical center until 1960. He was appointed to the Louis Levy Professorship of Urology in 1980. Dr. Winter was succeeded as the director of Urology in 1978 by Henry A. Wise II, MD. Dr. Winter is now a professor emeritus. Through his generosity, there is now an annual visiting professorship in his name.
Dr. Henry A. Wise II graduated from the University of Virginia Medical School and received his internship training at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He completed his residency in urology at Johns Hopkins Hospital. From 1972 to 1985, he was an associate professor of surgery at Ohio State. He served as the director of the Division of Urology from 1978 to 1985, and he was interim director in 1995. In recognition of his service, he was awarded professor emeritus. In 2007, Dr. Wise created a professorship in his name. In April 2017, the professorship became the Henry A. Wise II, MD, Chair in Urology.
Joseph Drago, MD, was director of the Division of Urology from 1986-1993. The division was then directed by Robert Badalamant, MD, until 1994. Dr. Wise took over as interim director in 1995.
In 1996, Dr. Robert R. Bahnson was appointed professor and director of the Division of Urology. Dr. Bahnson graduated from Tufts University Medical School in Boston. He completed his urological training at Northwestern University in Chicago. He was an assistant professor of Urology at Washington University in St. Louis until 1987. At the University of Pittsburgh, he was an associate professor for nine years before coming to Ohio State. He was instrumental in Ohio State’s College of Medicine's receiving a gift of $1.5 million in 1999 for the establishment of the Dave Longaberger Chair in Urology.
In November 2006, the Board of Trustees approved the establishment of the Department of Urology. This new status enhances the collaborative research and educational efforts between basic science and clinical departments, and it supports the overall mission of The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
Dr. Bahnson served as chair of the department until September 2014.
In July 2012, the Department of Urology relocated from Cramblett Medical Clinic to the newly remodeled Eye and Ear Institute.
Dr. Bodo Knudsen served as the interim chair of the Department of Urology from September 2014 to July 1, 2016.
In July 2015, the multidisciplinary GU clinic opened at the first floor clinic of the Brain and Spine Institute.
On July 1, 2016, Dr. Cheryl T. Lee assumed the role of professor of the Department of Urology as The Dorothy M. Davis Professor in Cancer Research.
RecognitionEdward C. Kaps Hope Award Goes to Patrick DiMeo, BSN, RN
Feb. 14, 2017 - We would like to congratulate Patrick DiMeo, BSN, RN for receiving the Edward C. Kaps Hope Award for his exemplary, dedicated service to helping prostate cancer survivors and their families. Patrick has been actively involved in OSUWMC/James Prostate Cancer Support Group since 1991 and has dedicated his time to providing support, education and hope for cancer survivors and their loved ones. The Edward C. Kaps Hope Award is given to “an outstanding leader in the Us TOO support group or network who has shown unselfish, dedicated service to prostate cancer survivors and their families.” Great job, Patrick! We are very fortunate to have you a part of our team.
2018 Ohio Urological Society Meeting Recap
James Payne, MD won first prize for best abstract and received $1000 for “Urology resident perceptions of research”
Jack Cooper, MD won Best Poster, Resident for "Patterns of Consultation for Difficult Urethral Catheterization"
Ahmad Shabsigh, MD, is Secretary Elect
2018 North Central Section of the AUA
Bodo Knudsen, MD, is the current Ohio Rep to the NCS Board and also on the Education Committee