Providing customized assistance for your physical, cognitive or sensory disabilities.
The Assistive Technology Center at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center provides customized assistance for people with physical, cognitive or sensory disabilities. Our goal is to help you reach your highest functional potential at home, work, school and play through the use of technology. We provide assistive devices such as wheelchairs, scooters, special computer equipment, communication devices and vehicle modifications.
As a leader in the field of assistive technology, we provide assistive technology services for those affected by:
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy a group of chronic conditions affecting body movement and muscle coordination
- Neurological diseases, such as ALS, multiple sclerosis and muscular dystrophy
- Spinal cord injury
- Stroke, blocked or bleeding blood vessel in the brain
Why choose The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center?
Rehabilitation can help you regain function and independence. There are many significant reasons to choose our programs and services, such as:
- Our team of specialists excels at assessing and recommending customized, assistive devices for each patient.
- We have five certified Assistive Technology Professionals (ATP) — the most in the region — who improve patients' quality of life every day using state-of-the-art technology.
- Our Assistive Technology Professionals are certified through the Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA). This certification assures the highest quality and clinical standards for our patients.
- Our 5,000 square foot facility is dedicated specifically to assistive technology services for patients, including individualized evaluation, equipment trial and training.
- Our assistive technology professionals are certified in specialty areas of practice related to their profession. They serve on advisory boards, editorial journal boards, research committees and national and international organizations.
- Our patients benefit from our relationships with top assistive technology manufacturers, who turn to us to test and evaluate their new products.
- Our program received the Model Practice Award in Rehabilitation Services from the Ohio Occupational Therapy Association in 2007. This award, given by occupational therapists, recognizes our program as one of the top programs in Ohio.
- We are proud that our Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs at Dodd Hall and our Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). CARF recognized our programs as meeting the highest standards in quality, safety and outcome measures, which provide risk-reduction and accountability in our patient care.
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center's rehabilitation program has consistently ranked among the best in the nation.
- Since Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available.