Providing specialized rehabilitation if you have a movement disorder.
The Parkinson’s Disease and other Movement Disorders Rehabilitation Program at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center provides specialized rehabilitation for people living with movement disorders. We offer advanced medical interventions and therapies designed to help you live with these disorders and enhance the quality of your overall health and everyday life.
Our rehabilitation program helps you reduce symptoms and maximize your ability to move and function.
We provide care for those with:
- Parkinson’s Disease, a disorder of the brain that leads to shaking and difficulty with walking, movement and coordination
- Dystonia, a neurological muscle disorder with involuntary muscle spasms
- Essential tremor, uncontrolled shaking or trembling that is not related to disease
- Huntington’s Disease, the deterioration of nerve cells in the brain with uncontrolled movements of the limbs, trunk and face
- Multiple system atrophy, a progressive nervous system disorder that affects movement, blood pressure and other body functions
- Myoclonus, twitching of muscle or group of muscles
- Spasticity, increased muscle contractions causing muscles to become stiff, affecting movement, speech and walking
- Tourette syndrome, a hereditary disorder with repeated involuntary movements and uncontrollable sounds or tics
Why choose The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center?
We use a multidisciplinary team approach to patient care. Our experts work together to provide you with personalized and innovative treatments. There are many important reasons to choose our programs and services:
- Our rehabilitation therapy programs are personalized to meet your needs and abilities. Our neurologists and other specialty physicians work together with our rehabilitation teams to improve your overall health.
- Our program focuses on helping you restore as much function as possible and achieve the highest level of independence.
- We are proud that the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accredits our Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs at Dodd Hall and our Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs. CARF recognized our programs as meeting the highest standards in quality, safety and outcome measures, which provide risk-reduction and accountability in our patient care.
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center's rehabilitation program has consistently ranked among the best in the nation.
- Since Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available.