Physician, FGP - Infectious Diseases
419 McCampbell Hall
1581 Dodd Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43210
- American Board of Internal Medicine: American Board of Internal Medicine, 1982 - present
- American Board of Internal Medicine: American Board of Internal Medicine, 1984 - present
Dr. Maher’s past research efforts have been in the areas of environmental microbiology of Legionella pneumophila, molecular epidemiology of bacterial infections and molecular mechanisms of antibiotic resistance, but in recent years his focus has been on clinical infectious diseases, HIV medicine and HIV-related clinical trials.
He attends regularly on the inpatient infectious diseases service, as well as the infectious diseases consult service. In the outpatient clinic, he sees infectious diseases consults, follows many patients with HIV infection and conducts clinical trials through the National Institutes of Health-funded AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG). Dr. Maher is also the infectious diseases consultant to The Ohio Department of Corrections. Via a digital closed circuit television network, Dr. Maher makes all HIV treatment decisions on all of the HIV-infected inmates in the state correctional system. He also offers consultation on other infectious diseases issues that arise in correctional medicine. Dr. Maher also serves as director of the Infectious Diseases Travel Medicine Clinic.
MD: The Ohio State University, 1979
MS: John Carroll University, 1976
BS: John Carroll University, 1972
- Maurice B. Rusoff Award for Academic Excellence, 1978 - present
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1978 - present
- Physiology Award, 1979 - present
- Beecham Fellowship in Nosocomial Disease Research, National Foundation in Infectious Diseases, 1983 - 1984
- Infectious Diseases 2008 Update, The Division of Infectious Diseases, Columbus, OH, 2008 - present
- Infectious Diseases 2007 Update, The Division of Infectious Diseases, Columbus, OH, 2007- present
- Infectious Diseases 2006 Update, The Division of Infectious Diseases, Columbus, OH, 2006 - present
- Infectious Diseases 2005 Update, The Division of Infectious Diseases, Columbus, OH, 2005 - present
Dr. Maher is also involved in formulating the infectious diseases curriculum for Med III and Med IV students, as well as the internal medicine house staff. Dr. Maher has used his basic science and laboratory experience to develop a laboratory curriculum for the clinical infectious diseases fellows.