Our goal is academic preeminence and excellent, comprehensive behavioral health care.
At Ohio State’s Neurological Institute, we bring together neurologists, neurosurgeons, psychiatrists and physical medical and rehabilitation specialists. Patients come to us for treatments and services they cannot find elsewhere.
The OSU Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health boasts one of the largest, most diverse faculty in the region. Medical students have an unparalleled opportunity to learn the most advanced approaches to mental health from a world-renowned leaders.
Psychology Internship Program
Practicum and fellowship training has long been a part of our mission, but the inclusion of a formal psychology internship underscores the role that health behaviors play in the onset, maintenance and recovery from disease.
Grand Rounds are held the first three Wednesdays of each month from 1:00 - 2:00 PM. They are located at the Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute Auditorium (DHLRI 170), 473 W. 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210.
Recorded versions of Grand Rounds are also available for viewing.
Divisions and Clinical Centers
Division of Psychology This division of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health is home to clinicians, researchers and clinician-researchers who are active in comprehensive assessment, inpatient consultation and outpatient psychotherapy.
Division of Public and Community Psychiatry We provide education, evaluation, research and care to those who receive care from public and community clinics.
Division of Molecular Neuropsychopharmacology This group studies the neurobiology of addiction, particularly nicotine addiction, and related psychiatric disorders, based on the idea that addiction is a biological disorder characterized by changes in specific regions of the brain.
Research and Clinical Trials
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health of The Ohio State University traces its inception to the 1847 appointment ofSamuel M. Smith, MD (1816-1874), as “Professor of Medical Jurisprudence and Insanity” at the Willoughby Medical College of Columbus (a precursor of Ohio State’s College of Medicine). On Feb. 19, 1847, the trustees of the Willoughby Medical College met in and unanimously appointed Dr. Smith, a prominent Columbus physician, as chair. With this appointment, the first academic department of psychiatry (or its equivalent) in this country was established.
Although Dr. Smith's appointment as professor of Psychiatry was for slightly less than one year, records demonstrate that he delivered his lectures on insanity for at least a six-year period, and most likely longer. Annual catalog announcements for Starling Medical College continued to list Dr. Smith’s lectures from 1847 through 1853. After this date there is a gap in available bulletins until 1868 when William L. Peck, MD, was appointed professor of Insanity and Nervous Diseases.
Dr. Smith’s continuing interest in Psychiatry was demonstrated by his involvement with the Columbus Asylum for the Insane as a trustee from 1856 until his death in 1874, and by an appointment in 1870 to a special committee of the Ohio State Medical Association to examine the plea of insanity in cases of homicide.
Dr. Smith died in Columbus on Nov. 30, 1874, two days after his 58th birthday from what was likely cerebral tuberculosis.
In 1994, Ohio State built a $15-million neuropsychiatric facility, Ohio State Harding Hospital, to house a century and a half of knowledge about innovative patient treatment, as well as state-of-the-art clinical inpatient, outpatient, partial (for patients who commute to a treatment center) and research facilities.
A bronze statue in Dr. Smith’s memory stands outside Ohio State Harding Hospital. Images of his deceased sons, Charles and Samuel, are designed as medallions and decorate the sides of the base. Above the marble base is a full-size figure of Dr. Smith with his hands folded behind his back, wearing a Prince Albert coat. It has a drinking fountain base and bears the inscription: “Memorial Fountain, to Dr. Samuel Mitchel Smith and His Sons, 1880.”