What do we mean by excellence?
We believe that excellence can be measured in the impact we make relative to our goals.
- Are we saving lives and do our patients suffer less and recover faster?
- Do our discoveries in the lab help explain disease, and lead to improved insight and new and better treatments?
- Upon graduation, are our students and trainees better equipped, more empathic and more curious than when they started?
Our history of compassionate care
In 1847, Samuel M. Smith, MD, was appointed professor of medical jurisprudence and insanity at Willoughby Medical College of Columbus, Ohio (the original trace of The Ohio State University College of Medicine), making him the first person to chair a department of psychiatry at an American medical school.
Since that esteemed beginning, our department continues to provide state-of-the-art comprehensive care across the continuum, including emergency/crisis, inpatient, consult-liaison, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient and outpatient care. Our success is enhanced by the facilities and services available at the flagship psychiatric, behavioral and addiction treatment centers at Ohio State Harding Hospital (91 inpatient beds) and Talbot Hall (25 inpatient beds) — as well as Big Lots Behavioral Health Services at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
Our growing multidisciplinary team of nearly 100 primary faculty members helps us create a unique, fertile setting for the best patient care, superior education and training, and groundbreaking clinical and translational science. Our medical students, psychiatry residents, fellows and clinical psychology interns benefit from the complementary expertise of our diverse faculty and from our varied settings and levels of care. In 2019, we welcomed our largest entering class of 14 psychiatry residents, and our department fellowships include addiction, child and adolescent psychiatry, consult-liaison and forensics.
Notable strengths and areas of targeted growth
We are dedicated to continual improvement and new initiatives, including:
- Comprehensive care for mood disorders, including a dedicated program to deliver specialized care for treatment-resistant depression across the care continuum and as part of a consortium of the National Network of Depression Centers (NNDC)
- Comprehensive care for psychosis/schizophrenia, including specialized care for youth and young adults with early psychosis at our Early Psychosis Intervention Center (EPICENTER)
- Comprehensive care for trauma, stress and anxiety, including specialized, trauma-informed therapy and education through our Stress, Trauma And Resilience (STAR) Trauma Recovery Center
- Comprehensive care for addiction and other compulsive behaviors, including the Comprehensive Addiction Center in partnership with the Ohio State College of Medicine
- Integration of psychiatry and behavioral health with medicine, such as in consult-liaison, health psychology and collaborative care
- Interventional psychiatry and neuromodulation, including Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS), electroconvulsive therapy, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), intravenous and intranasal ketamine, and other treatment options
- Innovative and new treatments under investigation in clinical trials
- Psychoneuroimmunology basic, translational and clinical research in partnership with the Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research (IBMR)
- Functional and molecular brain imaging research of emotion, cognition and action
The right treatment at the right place and time
As we grow and innovate our services, we strive to meet patients wherever they are. We also strive to think creatively about effective treatment and delivery options. This includes extending care beyond our physical offices and leveraging new technologies such as e-health, telemedicine and digital health. This ultimately gives patients more treatment options to choose from, which will allow us to detect and prevent problems while delivering care wherever and whenever it is most needed.
Changing the future starts now
We look forward to potentially working with you to create a better future for psychiatry and behavioral health — a future that is focused on prevention, diversified care, recovery and resilience. We also appreciate the opportunity to update you on our recent work and accomplishments. Please explore our website in depth today, but be sure to come back later for updates and to learn even more about our work, the passions of our faculty, trainees and staff, and our many initiatives in the laboratory, classroom, clinic and community.
K. Luan Phan, MD
Chair and Professor, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Health
Chief of Psychiatry Services for Health System
The Charles F. Sinsabaugh Chair in Psychiatry