Teaching you the skills you need for independent living.
The Specialty Amputee Program at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center meets your physical and emotional needs resulting from loss of limb due to accident, illness, birth defect or cancer. Our care program prepares you for an artificial limb (prosthesis) and helps you learn skills for the greatest level of independence and quality of life.
We provide you with comprehensive care and rehabilitation following loss of a lower or upper limb:
- Above/below the knee
- At the hip
- Upper limb
- Wrist or hand
- Above/below elbow
- At the shoulder
Why choose The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center?
Our team of physicians, nurses and therapists is specially trained in after-amputation care. Our program also includes certified prosthetists who are experts in fitting, adjusting and taking care of artificial limbs. There are many important reasons to choose our programs and services:
- We are proud that the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accredits our Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs at Dodd Hall and our Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs. CARF recognized our programs as meeting the highest standards in quality, safety and outcome measures, which provide risk-reduction and accountability in our patient care.
- Our Specialty Amputee Program is one of only two CARF-accredited outpatient amputee programs in the country
- Our clinical therapists offer the most innovative approach in helping the amputee patient with advanced prosthetic technology
- Orthopedic surgeons, prosthetists and physical therapists work together to manage your care
- Our clinical staff uses the most recent, evidence-based practice model to provide leading-edge rehabilitation
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center's rehabilitation program has consistently ranked among the best in the nation
- Since Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center is an academic medical center, you benefit from innovative research, a depth of medical expertise and the newest technologies and treatment techniques available