Keeping track of everything you need to follow as a patient is easier with Epic Care Companion in the Ohio State MyHealth mobile app. This interactive, mobile health assistant can help you follow your care plan wherever you are, using your smartphone or tablet. Care Companion gives you personalized notifications, task checklists, medication reminders, educational content and opportunities to connect more closely with your health care provider.
Home monitoring is more important than ever with COVID-19. Ohio State introduced a COVID-19 digital assistant through MyHealth for providers to monitor patient responses and step in when needed.
How Care Companion in MyHealth works
Care Companion is only available for MyChart users on a smartphone or tablet. Download the Ohio State MyHealth mobile app to use Care Companion on your mobile device.
The MyHealth app provides quick mobile access to your MyChart account, plus additional tools to simplify scheduling appointments, finding locations, parking and more at the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
To use Care Companion, log in to your existing MyChart account in the MyHealth app or sign up online. When enrolling you in Care Companion, your provider may have sent you an activation email with a code to easily create an account. For support on creating a MyChart account please use this visual guide.
Programs currently available
Individualized care plans are currently available in these health care areas:
- Cancer Survivorship
- Heart Failure
- Joint Replacement
- Overactive Bladder
How to use Care Companion
Log in and view tasks
1. Download or open the MyHealth app on your mobile device and tap the MyChart button at the bottom of the screen to log in.
2. Tap the “Menu” icon in MyChart.
3. Scroll through the list of menu items. Tap the “To Do” icon to view the tasks your provider has assigned for you.
Complete assigned tasks
Below are examples of the types of tasks that may be assigned to you.
Medication tasks: Tap the green checkmark or the red X to mark whether you’ve taken individual medications. If you’ve taken all of your medications for the day, you can tap Mark (#) Taken at the bottom of the screen to save time.
Education tasks: Tap the task to review the educational materials, which might include an article to read or a video to watch. Use the “I Understand” or “I Have Questions” buttons to express your understanding of the material. Tapping “I Have Questions” allows you to send any questions you have to a member of your care team.
Survey tasks: Take brief questionnaires on a variety of health topics. Your responses will go directly to your care team who may message you with follow-up questions or resources.
General tasks: After you finish a general task, such as walking, mark it complete by tapping the green checkmark. If you did not complete a task, tap the red X.
Choose how and when to receive notifications
1. Open the “To Do” activity, tap “Options” at the top of the screen and select “Manage To Do Reminders.”
2. If you want to change how you receive notifications for tasks that are due, in the “How Often?” section:
- Select “When My Tasks Are Due” to receive an individual notification when each task is due.
- Select “Only Once Daily” to receive one combined notification for all of the tasks that are due each day.
3. If you want to change what time you receive notifications throughout the day, tap “Manage Reminder Schedule.” You can set times to receive reminders for tasks that are due:
- By End of Day
How can I sign up?
Call or send a message to your provider to let them know about your interest, and they can sign you up for the program. You must have, or be willing to create, a MyChart account to use this program. You also need a smartphone with the ability to download the Ohio State MyHealth mobile app. If you sign up for this program, your provider will be able to see your progress with doing the tasks.
While using this program, you call or message your provider with any questions or concerns. If at any point you do not wish to continue with the program, call or message your provider and they will remove you from the program.