The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center provides excellent clinical care in arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and related conditions.
If you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around, you might have arthritis. Most kinds of arthritis cause pain and swelling in your joints. Joints are places where two bones meet, such as your elbow or knee. Over time, a swollen joint can become severely damaged. Some kinds of arthritis can also cause problems in your organs, such as your eyes or skin.
Types of arthritis include:
- Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis. It's often related to aging or to an injury
- Autoimmune arthritis happens when your body's immune system attacks healthy cells in your body by mistake. Rheumatoid arthritis is the most common form of this kind of arthritis. Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is a form of the disease that happens in children
- Infectious arthritis is an infection that has spread from another part of the body to the joint
- Psoriatic arthritis affects people with psoriasis
- Gout is a painful type of arthritis that happens when too much uric acid builds up in the body. It often starts in the big toe
Source: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases