At the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center, we know that many factors can influence a person’s weight, from genetics and medications to access to healthy food. Being obese is a complex medical condition that requires individualized medical care.
We’ve been providing that care to patients since we performed our first weight loss surgeries more than 40 years ago. A recognized leader in bariatric surgery, Ohio State was the first in central Ohio to develop a comprehensive, multidisciplinary program using a team of experts in psychology, nutrition, exercise physiology and endocrinology to ensure your long-term success.
But we’re not only concerned with helping you lose weight. We also focus on your overall health to help lower your risk of associated medical conditions, from type 2 diabetes to sleep apnea.
In every stage of your journey to lose weight, we’re non-judgmental and compassionate, fully dedicated to your long-term success as a healthier, happier individual.
Why choose Ohio State
- As one of the busiest academic programs in the country, we perform nearly 600 bariatric surgeries per year and have the experience and expertise to provide you with the highest level of care.
- We’ve performed more weight loss surgeries than any other program in central Ohio, 95% of those being minimally invasive procedures.
- Our expertise has made us the referral center for bariatric patients with complex medical and surgical conditions and surgical complications.
- Ohio State was one of the first to be recognized as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
- We have a dedicated bariatric surgical floor for post-surgery patients, with private rooms and a staff trained in providing dignified, sensitive care to those undergoing this life-changing surgery.
At Ohio State, you can be confident that you’re being cared for at the right place and by the right people.
Find out if bariatrics is the right weight loss option for you by viewing our informational video.
What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery is a weight-loss technique that changes the anatomy of the gastrointestinal tract (the stomach and digestive system) and creates physiological changes in the body that alter energy balance and fat metabolism. In Ohio State’s Comprehensive Weight Management Program, bariatric surgery is combined with guidance on nutrition, exercise regimens and behavior changes tailored to each individual to help them reach long-term success.
Why bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgery is the most effective treatment for weight loss in people who have a BMI of 35 or above. Many people in this group may have temporary success with changes in diet and exercise and/or by using diet pills, but research shows that much of the weight lost is likely to return over the years.
Bariatrics has been shown to help improve or resolve many obesity-related medical conditions, such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. Often, those who reduce their weight to a healthier level are able to take fewer medications to treat their obesity-related conditions.
How to get started
If you're interested in pursuing bariatric surgery as a weight loss tool, the first step is to watch our informational video. After viewing, download and complete the bariatric surgery application.
Step 1: Watch our informational video
You will learn who’s a candidate for bariatric surgery, benefits of bariatric surgery, why choose Ohio State for bariatric surgery, types of bariatric surgery, is bariatric surgery right for you, and what to expect before, during and after surgery.
Step 2: Download and complete surgery application
Learn more about Bariatric Surgery
Mary Rutan Hospital Partnership