Team Physician: OSU Buckeyes
The Jameson Crane Sports Medicine Institute
2835 Fred Taylor Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43202
I am passionate about empowering patients to achieve their optimal health and fitness through a collaborative relationship grounded in mutual respect, accountability and education. I primarily practice sports medicine and take care of athletes of all ages for numerous musculoskeletal and sports related concerns. I am also a team physician at Ohio State and provide care to our Ohio State athletes. Additionally, I'm a team physician for the AAA affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, the Columbus Clippers.
Research, Education and Clinical Interests
Having completed nine marathons, including the Boston Marathon twice, and recently competing in the Obstacle Course Racing World Championships, I have an interest in endurance medicine. I am one of two physicians on the endurance medicine team here at OSU and I enjoy working with endurance athletes to help them to compete at their highest level.
I also have a particular interest in combative sports. I was a nationally ranked collegiate boxer and have provided ringside coverage for over 1000 MMA and boxing bouts. I have given lectures on ringside medicine at regional, national and international conferences. My personal and professional experience give me a unique ability to care for combative sport athletes.
One of the benefits of working at Ohio State are the numerous opportunities for education. I find personal education in the form of various conferences and lectures that are abundant at Ohio State. I am exposed to and have become proficient in cutting edge technologies like musculoskeletal (MSK) ultrasound, pro-inflammatory injections like platelet rich plasma (PRP) and innovative procedures like Tenex (percutaneous tenotomy).
I also find joy in educating medical students, residents and fellows. I lead the fourth year medical student Sports Medicine Clerkship and I am a core faculty of the Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship here at OSU. Educating our future physicians is a privilege and it keeps me up-to-date on the latest advancements in understandings in medicine.
I currently lead a multidisciplinary group of physicians at Ohio State researching the integration of MSK ultrasound into medical student education. We have already published on this topic and have more projects pending.
Current Research Projects
Prospective Study of Injuries Sustained While Training and Competing in Collegiate Fencing, Bryant Walrod, MD, principal investigator
Does learning with MSK ultrasound improve the ability of first year medical students to accurately identify soft tissue anatomic structures? Bryant Walrod, MD, principal investigator
A Cross-Sectional Study to Examine the Differences in Cognitive Response and Functional Motor Activity Before and After a Concussion: William Kraemer, PhD. Emily Borden, William Dupont, Bryant Walrod, MD
Orthobiologic and Mechanical Interventions Outcomes Registry, Michael Baria, MD. Co-investigator, Bryant Walrod, MD
A study to track the hydration status of wrestlers before, during and after the wrestling season. William Kraemer, PhD, Emily Borden, William Dupont, Bryant Walrod, MD
- MD: The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, 2000
- Residency: Family Medicine, Mount Carmel Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio, 2000-2003
- Fellowship: Sports Medicine, The Medical College of Wisconsin, 2007-2008
- Injuries Sustained in Collegiate Fencing: Bryant Walrod, MD. Current Sports Medicine Reports. Anticipated publication March 2018.
- Musculoskeletal Examination of the Extremities: An Interactive Guide: ibook Bryant Walrod, MD Kendra McCamey, MD Clint Hartz, MD, Micheal Jonesco, DO, Steve Albretcha, MD Kelly Estes, MD.
- Lead author and editor: electronic publication; available for download on Itunes, March 2016.
- Does ultrasound-enhanced instruction of musculoskeletal anatomy improve physical examination skills of first-year medical students? Walrod BJ, Schroeder A, Conroy MJ, Boucher LC.
- Bockbrader M, Way DP, McCamey KL, Hartz CA, Jonesco MA, Bahner DP. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2017, Aug 10.
- Mixed Martial Arts: Bryant Walrod, MD, Textbook chapter author: Netter’s Sports Medicine: 2nd Edition: 2017.
- Martial Arts: Bryant Walrod, MD Textbook chapter co- author: Netter’s Sports Medicine: 2nd Edition: 2017.
- Evaluation and Treatment of Soft Tissue Overuse Injuries: Bryant Walrod, M.D. Textbook chapter Author: Endurance Sports Medicine: Tim Miller. August 2016.
- Mixed Martial Arts: Ringside coverage: Bryant Walrod, MD AMSSM Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL, May 2018.
- Anterior Hip Pain in a College Field Hockey Player: Kitchin, T. Walrod, B. Poster Presentation AMSSM Annual Meeting. May 2017. San Diego, CA.
- Fear of Re-injury After Return to Play in College-aged Athletes: A qualitative study. Earl, A. Hefner, J. Walrod, B, Graef, S., Hartz, C. Poster Presentation. AMSSM Annual Meeting, May 2017. San Diego, CA.
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Ultrasound of the Hip: Bryant Walrod, MD, Kendra McCamey, MD Sixth Annual OSU Hip Symposium. December 2016.
- Coaches Concussion Clinic: OHSSA: November 2016.
- Match Point: A Case of Effort Induced Thrombosis in the Setting of Repeated Upper Extremity Microtrauma. Shinn, T; Walrod, B. Ohio State University College of Medicine Research Day, May 2016.
- Heat Acclimatization: Bryant Walrod, MD 3rd Annual OSU Endurance Medicine Symposium: Columbus, Ohio. April 2016.
- The Knee Examination: Ohio State University MedNet 21 weekly CME activity Bryant Walrod, MD, Clinton Hartz, M.D. Columbus, Ohio. February 2016.
- The Knee Examination: Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: OSU PMR Residency: Columbus, Ohio. February 2016, February 2017.
- Musculoskeletal Injections/Joint Injection Workshop: Department of Internal Medicine, OSU Internal Medicine Residency: Columbus, Ohio. January 2016.
- Altitude Training: Current Considerations: Bryant Walrod, MD. 2nd Annual OSU Endurance Medicine Symposium: Columbus, Ohio. May, 2015.
- Hip Pain Mimickers: Bryant Walrod, MD 5th Annual OSU Hip Symposium: Columbus, Ohio. April 2015.
- Mixed Martial Arts Injuries: Bryant Walrod, MD AMSSM Annual Conference: Instructional Course Lecture Hollywood, Florida April. 2015.
Musculoskeletal Injection/Joint Injection Workshop: OSU Family Medicine Residency: Columbus, Ohio. 2014,2015.
- Evaluation and Treatment of Heat Related Illness in the Endurance Athlete: Bryant Walrod, MD OSU Endurance Medicine Symposium. Columbus, Ohio. July 2014.
- Exercise Associated Hyponatremia in the Endurance Athlete: Bryant Walrod, MD OSU Endurance Medicine Symposium. Columbus, Ohio. July 2014.
- Case editor AMSSM
- Columbus Monthly: Top Sports Medicine Doctors in Columbus 2015, 2016, 2017