Associate Professor of Clinical Family Medicine
Director, Sports Medicine Fellowship
The Jameson Crane Sports Medicine Institute
2835 Fred Taylor Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43202
I completed my undergraduate degree in chemical engineering at The Ohio State University and then started graduate work in biomedical engineering. I liked working with people and the medical field so much, I decided to switch career paths and go into medicine. The following year I attended Medical College of Ohio for medical school. I did my residency at Flower Hospital in Sylvania, Ohio in family medicine and followed that with sports medicine fellowship at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. When I was done with my fellowship I was lukcy to be able to return to The Ohio State university to start my career in Sports Medicine.
I have been with Ohio State since the beginning of my career and love the University and people associated with it. While here I have had the privilege of working with all types of athletes from the weekend warriors to the Division 1 varsity athletes at the University.
Current Research Projects
We are currently looking at how musculoskeletal ultrasound an augment the teaching of our medical students, residents and fellows.
Education and Training
- MD: Medical College of Ohio (now University of Toledo Medical School)
- Postgraduate Education/Training: Masters work in Biomedical Engineering at The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- Residency: Flower Hospital, Sylvania, Ohio
- Fellowship: Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan
- Walrod BJ, Schroeder A, Conroy DJ, Boucher L, Brockbrader M, Way DP, McCamey KL, Hartz CA, Jonesco MA. Does ultrasound-enhanced instruction of musculoskeletal anatomy improve physical examination skills of first-year medical students? Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2017.
- Krey D, Borchers J, McCamey KL. Tendon needling for treatment of tendinopathy: A systematic review. Physician and Sportsmedicine. Vol. 43, no. 1: 80-86. (2015)
- Flanigan DC, McCamey KL,. Acute Traumatic Sternal Fracture in a Female College Hockey Player Reply. Orthopedics. Vol. 34, no. 6: 416-416. 2011.
- Culp B, Hurbanek JG, Novak J, McCamey KL, Flanigan DC. Acute Traumatic Sternum Fracture in a Female College Hockey Player. Orthopedics. Vol. 33, no. 9: 683-685. 2010.
- Distel LM, Borchers JR, McCamey KL. Recurrent Knee Pain in a 25 y/o Male. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Vol. 42, no. 5: 202-203. 2010.
- Hunt, TN, McCamey KL, Beisner A. The Relationship Between ADHD and Concussion History on Neuropsychological Test Scores in Collegiate Athletes. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Vol. 42, no. 5: 114-114. 2010.
- McCamey KL, Evans P. Low Back Pain in Primary Care. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. Vol. 34, no. 1: 71-82. 2007.
- McCamey KL, Karageanes S, Poddell K. Parental Knowledge of Concussion in Sports. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. (2005).
- Beisner A, McCamey KL.Testicular Cancer in the Intercollegiate Athlete: A Case Study. National Athletic Trainers’ Association. (2011).
- Walrod BK, McCamey KL, Albrechta S, Davis C, Estes K, Hartz C, Jonesco M. Musculoskeletal examination of the extremities: An interactive guide. 2016.
- Hartz C, McCamey KL. Quadriceps strains and proximal injuries. In: Quadriceps and Hamstring Injuries in Athletes. 2014.
- Parson JP, McCamey KL, Mastronarde JG. Exercise-induced bronchospasm. In: Orthopedic Sports Medicine. 2010.
- McCamey KL, Evans P. Low back pain. In: Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2007;34:71-82.
- McCamey KL, Olson D, Karageanes S. Head and neck exam. In: Principles of Manual Sports Medicine. 2004.