Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs
Outpatient Care Gahanna
920 N. Hamilton Road
Gahanna, Ohio 43230
Northwood - High Building
2231 N. High Street
Columbus, Ohio 43201
I am graduate of Miami University (BA), The Wright State University School of Medicine (MD) and The Ohio State University (MPH). After joining the Department of Family Medicine in 2000, I have been focused on improving care delivery trough value based models such as PCMH and CPC+. Currently I am a board member of the Ohio State ACO. I have served as the vice chair of clinical services since 2012.
My research focus is on improving hypertension and heart failure care by improvements in nutritional status.
Education and Training
- MD: Wright State University, 1990
- Residency: Mt Carmel Residency, 1993
- MPH: The Ohio State University, 2003
Co I HRSA (T0BHP30007¬01¬00)
Expanding and Enhancing, and enriching the primary care workforce through clinical transformation
The goal is to support the education and implementation of value based transformation.
Co-investigator NIH/NIA (R01AG050801)
Urine antimicrobial proteins in older adults: aging, infection, & innate immunity
The goal of this study is to identify the role that urinary antimicrobial peptides play in diagnosing UTI in older adults. $2,805,735 7/01/2016-03/30/2021
- Wexler R, MD, Hefner J, Sieck C Taylor CA, Leman J Panchal AR, Aldrich A, McAleaenry AS. Connecting Emergency Department Patients to Primary Care
J Am Board Fam Med; 2015:6 722-732.
- Bittoni MA, Wexler R, Spees CK, Clinton SK, Taylor CA. Lack of private health insurance is associated with higher mortality from cancer and other chronic diseases,
poor diet quality, and inflammatory biomarkers in the United States. Prev Med.
- Wexler R, Lehman J, Welker MJ. Patient Centered Medical Home transformation at an academic medical center. Journal of Hospital Administration. Vol 5, No. 16. 2015. DOI: 10.5430/jha.v5n1p34. http://www.sciedu.ca/journal/index.php/jha/issue/view/385.
- Sieck, CJ, Hefner JL, Wexler RK, Taylor CA, McAlearney AS. "Why do they do that?: Looking beyond typical reasons for non-urgent ED use among Medicaid patients," Patient Experience Journal. 2016;3:22-30.
- Wexler RK, Pleister A, Raman SV. Palpitations: Evaluation in the Primary Care Setting. Am Fam Physician. 2017 Dec 15;96(12):784-789.
- Past chair FamMedPAC (AAFP) and current board member FamMedPAC (AAFP)
- Harry Shaver Award for publishing an original manuscript during residency, 1993
- Excellence in Research During Residency, American Academy of Family Physicians, 1993
- Excellence in Academia, Mt. Carmel Family Practice Residency, 1996
- Ohio Academy of Family Physicians, OAFP Advocate, 2001
- Fellow, American Academy of Family Physicians, 2001
- Honorary membership, Ohio Athletic Trainers Association, 2003
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 2003
- Delta Omega Honor Society in Public Health, 2003
- President’s Award, The Ohio Academy of Family Physicians, 2003
- Team Physician Award, Ohio Athletic Trainers Association, 2005
- Preceptor All Star Award, OSU College of Medicine, 2007
- Ohio State Medical Association, Physician Advocate Award (inaugural award), 2011
- Larry Gabel Advocate Award, OSU Department of Family Medicine, 2011
- Research award, American Academy of Family Physicians Scientific Assembly, 2011
- Selection as a Council of Academic Family Medicine Advocate, 2012
- Best of NAPCRG, "Gaps in Knowledge: What do Primary Care Patients Know About the Opioids They Have Been Prescribed?" (one of 10 chosen from over 600), 2015