College of Medicine
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research/Sleep Medicine
Wexner Medical Center
Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Center for Innovation in Pediatric Practice
700 Children’s Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
Background: Dr. Kowatch has authored or co-authored more than 100 articles, 14 book chapters and two books. He has published in the areas of the diagnosis and treatment of children and adolescents with bipolar disorders, sleep disorders and depression. His articles have been published in the Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Neuropsychopharmacology, Archives of General Psychiatry and Journal of Child Neurology, among others.
- Adolescent mental health
- Narcolepsy and sleep health
- Stem cells
- Pediatric mood and pediatric sleep disorders
- LAMS Longitudinal Assessment of Manic Symptoms – a collaborative, multi-site, NIMH-funded, collaborative R01 that is longitudinally investigating “elevated symptoms of mania” (ESM) in 707 adolescents.
- Etiology of Hypocretin Cell Death in Young Patients with Narcolepsy - this study will examine the genetic basis of narcolepsy and the role of hypocretin neurons in the development of narcolepsy.
- Sleep Research Database – to developed a queriable sleep research database in collaboration with NCH.
- The Pedi MH Screen – mental health-screening device for patients in pediatric clinics.
Active Funding: NIMH/NIH
MD: The Chicago Medical School
PhD: The University of Texas at Dallas, Cognition and Neuroscience
Fellowship: Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Hahnemann University
Residency: General Psychiatry, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Internship: Internal Medicine, The Graduate Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
1997 - 2004 Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
2001 - Present Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology
2002 - Present Current Psychiatry
2002 - 2008 Bipolar Disorders: Reviews and Commentaries
Editor: Current Psychiatry for Child Psychiatry
Journal Reviewer Ships
1994 - Present Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
1998 - Present Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology
2002 - Present Bipolar Disorders
2001 - Present Journal of Biological Psychiatry
2010 - Present Archives of General Psychiatry
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
American Sleep Disorders Association
1984 - 1985 Chief Resident. Hahnemann University Hospital
2004 Arthur B. Richter Visiting Professor in Child Psychiatry, Indiana University School of Medicine
Fellow, American Association of Sleep Medicine