Ohio State is a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence.
Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center's Bariatric Surgery Program specializes in helping people with severe obesity, a condition that puts people at very high risk for suffering from other chronic and life-threatening medical problems.
- More weight-loss surgeries are performed at Ohio State than at any other program in central Ohio.
- We are recognized as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence® by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. The designation demonstrates Ohio State’s dedication to offering patients the highest standards of quality care and safety.
- Our team approach involves supportive physicians, nurses, dietitians and exercise specialists.
- Following your surgery, we provide ongoing nutrition, fitness and wellness support, including fitness center and warm-water pool programs.
Find out if bariatric surgery is the right weight-loss option for you by taking part in one of our bariatric surgery information sessions.
Bariatric surgery options
- Gastric Banding: An adjustable band is placed around the upper stomach, creating a small stomach pouch that limits food consumption and creates a feeling of fullness.
- Gastric Bypass: Gastric bypass, also called Roux-en-Y, creates a small pouch in the stomach.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: A thin, vertical sleeve of stomach is created and the rest of the stomach is removed. The sleeve limits the amount of food you can eat and helps you feel full sooner.