One of the only established centers for critical care in the United States
If you are experiencing an emergency, please dial 911.
Designated as a Level 1 trauma center by the American College of Surgeons, Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center is widely recognized as a regional resource to care for the most critically ill and injured patients.
Ohio State Wexner Medical Center has held a Level I designation from the American College of Surgeons since 1987 and was one of the first hospitals to receive the designation after the verification program started.
Level 1 Trauma Care
All blunt, penetrating and burn traumaAvailable specialists including:
- Trauma Surgeons and Critical Care In-hospital 24/7
- Radiology in-hospital 24/7
- Orthopedic Trauma Specialists
- Vascular and Cardiac Surgery—Level I Heart and Vascular Emergency Program
- Hand (including extremity replantation)
- Microsurgery/Flap Reconstruction
- Ophthalmology (wide range of Eye subspecialists)
- ENT/Plastic Surgery/Oral Surgery/Dentistry
- Urological Trauma
- Interventional Radiologists and Endovascular Therapies
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Advanced mechanical ventilation
- Extracorporeal Membranous Oxygenation (ECMO)/Perfusion
- Massive transfusion
Level III Trauma Care at Ohio State East Hospital
The Ohio Department of Safety and the Ohio Department of Health have recognized The Ohio State University East Hospital as a Provisional Level III Trauma Center. Trauma coverage at East Hospital is provided by the same experienced clinical team that serves the University Hospital Level I Trauma Center.
As a Level III Trauma Center, East Hospital can now provide critical access, stabilization of patients, and definitive trauma care to patients with serious traumatic injuries. Collaboration with University Hospital’s Level I Trauma Center will allows East Hospital to provide extended services and a full range of trauma care within The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center system.