One of the only established centers for critical care in the United States
If you are experiencing an emergency, please dial 911.
Designated as a Level 1 trauma center by the American College of Surgeons, Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center is widely recognized as a regional resource to care for the most critically ill and injured patients.
Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center has held a Level I designation from the American College of Surgeons since 1987 and was one of the first hospitals to receive the designation after the verification program started.
Level 1 Trauma Care
All blunt, penetrating and burn traumaAvailable specialists including:
- Trauma Surgeons and Critical Care In-hospital 24/7
- Radiology in-hospital 24/7
- Orthopedic Trauma Specialists
- Vascular and Cardiac Surgery—Level I Heart and Vascular Emergency Program
- Hand (including extremity replantation)
- Microsurgery/Flap Reconstruction
- Ophthalmology (wide range of Eye subspecialists)
- ENT/Plastic Surgery/Oral Surgery/Dentistry
- Urological Trauma
- Interventional Radiologists and Endovascular Therapies
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Advanced mechanical ventilation
- Extracorporeal Membranous Oxygenation (ECMO)/Perfusion
- Massive transfusion
Level III Trauma Care at University Hospital East
The Ohio Department of Safety and the Ohio Department of Health have recognized The Ohio State University Hospital East as a Provisional Level III Trauma Center. Trauma coverage at East Hospital is provided by the same experienced clinical team that serves the University Hospital Level I Trauma Center.
As a Level III Trauma Center, East Hospital can now provide critical access, stabilization of patients, and definitive trauma care to patients with serious traumatic injuries. Collaboration with University Hospital’s Level I Trauma Center will allows East Hospital to provide extended services and a full range of trauma care within The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center system.