Ohio State’s trauma program’s primary injury prevention initiative through the National ThinkFirst Injury Prevention Foundation is home to the ThinkFirst chapter of central Ohio.
- Kindergarten through fifth grade: Traffic safety, playground safety, sports safety, bicycle safety, school bus safety, pedestrian safety, water safety, safety around guns/knives and cartoon video with age-appropriate interactive activities.
- Sixth to eighth grade: Traffic safety, sports safety, effects of drugs/alcohol, bullying and safety around guns/knives, a PowerPoint presentation with role-playing scenarios, class discussion and suggestions on how to handle peer pressure and Pre/Post tests.
- Ninth to 12th grade - Traffic safety, underage drinking, making positive choices and safety around guns/knives. A VIP (Voice for Injury Prevention – former trauma patient) also speaks to the audience, sharing personal experience of how life has changed as a result of making a poor choice.
- A PowerPoint age-appropriate presentation. Emphasis is on traffic safety, effects of alcohol/drugs and suggestions on how to effectively talk to teens.
CarTeens partners with juvenile courts mandating teen and parent participation as part of their restitution for traffic violations. The education includes law enforcement, ThinkFirst for teens, peer education, seat belts and airbags, speeding, impaired driving, drowsy and distracted driving, Ohio traffic laws, a VIP speaker and a post-test for teen offenders requiring a passing grade.
The Injury Prevention Program also participates in regional, state and local programs including:
- COTS (Central Ohio Trauma System) injury prevention program, a regional collaboration toward injury reduction for the citizens of central Ohio, with a primary focus on the Falls Prevention Initiative
- The Fatality Review Board for Franklin County. Membership includes representatives from trauma centers, law enforcement, county engineer, public health and other county officials. All motor vehicle deaths are reviewed for prevention opportunities including education, engineering design and legislative initiatives
- SafeKids and Safe Communities
- Ohio Injury Prevention Partnership (OIPP)
- Midwest Injury Prevention Alliance (MIPA)
- Older Adult Falls Committee
- National Safety Council Teen Safe Driving Coalition
CarTeens at OSU