Vacation first aid: Are you ready?
Are you hitting the road for a weekend or week-long adventure? Whether you’re heading for the beach or the ski slopes, a city vacation or a day trip to the woods, it’s good to plan ahead, especially when traveling with your children.
That includes being prepared for the occasional misadventure.
The primary care experts at Ohio State Walk-in Care Upper Arlington recommend a little bit of research ahead of time and a good first aid kit to save yourself a world of hurt on the road.
In your pocket or wallet:
- Make a medical information card for your family. Include who to contact in an emergency, your healthcare provider’s contact information, allergies, medications you take and where you’re staying.
- Check online and jot down the address and phone number of walk-in clinics and hospitals nearest to where you’ll be staying. Ask your hotel for a list when you check in.
- Make sure you have your health insurance cards.
- Adhesive bandages (multiple sizes)
- Antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin) for minor cuts and scrapes
- Pain relievers such as ibuprofen (like Advil) and acetaminophen (like Tylenol)
- Antacid (like TUMS)
- Antibacterial hand sanitizer and wipes
- Digital thermometer
- Allergy medicine (like Benadryl)
- Hydrocortisone cream (like Cortizone 10) for minor skin rashes, bug bites, poison ivy
- Motion sickness medicine (like Dramamine) for those long car rides or first-time fliers
- Diarrhea medicine (like Imodium or Pepto-Bismol)
For all of the above, pay close attention to the dosages printed on the labels. They differ for adults and children. And if this feels like too long of a shopping list to tackle before you hit the road, don't worry. Most pharmacies and department stores sell grab-and-go first aid kids of different sizes for last-minute travelers.
Also, don’t forget:
- Your daily medications.
- Insect repellent with 20% or more DEET (DEET repels mosquitoes and ticks, and is safe to use on children).
Schedule a primary care appointment online.
Schedule now or call 614-293-5123