About MeI'm an ophthalmologist specializing in medical and surgical care for corneal disease and other eye conditions. I help restore people's sight, which is very meaningful. I have a great practice, and I also serve as a leader and educator together with Ohio State's tremendous faculty and staff.
Our experts work as a team to care for patients with some of the most challenging eye conditions. Many are referred by doctors throughout Ohio and surrounding states. We treat routine conditions, such as cataracts, as well as complex conditions like corneas that failed due to disease or injury.
We've treated people who had poor results elsewhere and were effectively blind, but we restored their sight. That's incredibly rewarding.
Ophthalmology is about personalizing care. Every patient's problem is unique. There's no cookie-cutter answer for every person. I'm dedicated to successful treatment and I'm available to answer questions. After surgery, I'm available 24/7. Patients will have my cell phone and emergency numbers.
Each year, I go on international outreach trips with Ohio State colleagues. We perform corneal transplants and cataract surgery for those in need. It's a fabulous experience for me and our Ohio State team.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Chair, Department of Ophthalmology
- Leader, international vision and eye care outreach
- Author, numerous books, articles and scientific presentations
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of America’s “Top Doctors” for 2017
- Best Doctor in America 2017
Specialties and conditions I treat
- Eye Infections
- Eye Injuries
- Eye Abnormalities
- Conjunctival Diseases
- Lens Diseases
- Conjunctival Cancers
- Eye Infections, Fungal
- Eye Infections, Parasitic
- Artificial Lens Implant Migration
- Lens Subluxation
- Conjunctivitis, Bacterial
- Conjunctivitis, Viral
- Iridocorneal Endothelial Syndrome
- Pemphigoid, Benign Mucous Membrane
- Ectopia Lentis
- Corneal Dystrophies, Hereditary
- Corneal Ulcer
- Acanthamoeba Keratitis
- Keratitis, Herpetic
- Cogan Syndrome
- Conjunctivitis, Allergic
- Corneal Edema
- Corneal Endothelial Cell Loss
- Corneal Neovascularization
- Corneal Opacity
- Corneal Perforation
- Anterior Capsular Rupture, Ocular
- Eye Infections, Viral
- Corneal Dystrophy, Juvenile Epithelial of Meesmann
- Fuchs' Endothelial Dystrophy
- Keratitis, Dendritic
- Aphakia, Postcataract
- Posterior Capsular Rupture, Ocular
- Capsule Opacification
- Eye Infections, Bacterial
- Corneal Diseases
Locations where I practice
Eye and Ear Institute
Education and training
Ohio State University College of Medicine
More about my work
American Board of Ophthalmology
419 Patient Satisfaction ReviewsThe patient satisfaction rating is an average of all responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
4.9 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.9
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.9
- Knows My Medical History 4.8
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.8
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 03/28/2017, Dr. Mauger has reported no financial relationships with medical device, research and/or drug companies.