Thomas Mauger, MD
Appointments: (614) 293-8116
About MeI'm an ophthalmologist specializing in medical and surgical care for corneal disease, including keratoconus, Fuchs' corneal dystrophies, corneal transplants and cataract surgeries, as well as other eye conditions. I help restore people's sight, which is very meaningful. I have a great practice, and I also serve as a leader and educator together with Ohio State's tremendous faculty and staff.
Our experts work as a team to care for patients with some of the most challenging eye conditions. Many are referred by doctors throughout Ohio and surrounding states. We treat routine conditions, such as cataracts, as well as complex conditions like corneas that failed due to disease or injury.
We've treated people who had poor results elsewhere and were effectively blind, but we restored their sight. That's incredibly rewarding.
Ophthalmology is about personalizing care. Every patient's problem is unique. There's no cookie-cutter answer for every person. I'm dedicated to successful treatment and I'm available to answer questions. After surgery, I'm available 24/7. Patients will have my cell phone and emergency numbers.
Each year, I go on international outreach trips with Ohio State colleagues. We perform corneal transplants and cataract surgery for those in need. It's a fabulous experience for me and our Ohio State team.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Chair, Department of Ophthalmology
- Leader, international vision and eye care outreach
- Author, numerous books, articles and scientific presentations
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of America’s “Top Doctors” for 2017
- Best Doctor in America 2017
Specialties and Conditions I Treat
- Corneal Diseases
- Acanthamoeba Keratitis
- Anterior Capsular Rupture, Ocular
- Aphakia, Postcataract
- Artificial Lens Implant Migration
- Capsule Opacification
- Cogan Syndrome
- Conjunctival Diseases
- Conjunctival Cancers
- Conjunctivitis, Allergic
- Conjunctivitis, Bacterial
- Corneal Edema
- Corneal Dystrophies, Hereditary
- Conjunctivitis, Viral
- Corneal Dystrophy, Juvenile Epithelial of Meesmann
- Corneal Endothelial Cell Loss
- Corneal Neovascularization
- Corneal Opacity
- Corneal Perforation
- Corneal Ulcer
- Ectopia Lentis
- Eye Abnormalities
- Eye Infections
- Eye Infections, Bacterial
- Eye Infections, Fungal
- Eye Infections, Parasitic
- Eye Infections, Viral
- Eye Injuries
- Fuchs' Endothelial Dystrophy
- Iridocorneal Endothelial Syndrome
- Keratitis, Dendritic
- Keratitis, Herpetic
- Lens Diseases
- Lens Subluxation
- Pemphigoid, Benign Mucous Membrane
- Posterior Capsular Rupture, Ocular
Locations Where I Practice
Havener Eye Institute at Dublin
Education and Training
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
7/1/1985 - 6/1/1988
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
7/1/1988 - 6/1/1989
More About My Work
American Board of Ophthalmology
511 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.9 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.9
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.9
- Knows My Medical History 4.8
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.8
62 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 03/26/2018, Dr. Mauger has reported no relationships with companies or entities.