Ohio State was the first hospital in the Midwest to deliver a baby conceived through in vitro fertilization. In addition, Ohio State obstetrics research improved treatments for women with high-risk pregnancies by identifying predictors for preterm birth and optimal care for women with gestational diabetes.
Ohio State performed its first bone marrow transplant to treat patients with leukemia. Today, Ohio State is internationally renowned for leukemia treatment and research.
Ohio State became a leading national center in the research and treatment of HIV and AIDS, a distinction that continues today.
Dr. Ernest Johnson wrote the first book on electrodiagnostic procedures to assess the health of muscles and the nerve cells that control them. Now in its fourth edition, the text has been renamed Johnson's Practical Electromyography.
Ohio State pioneered helicopter transport of trauma patients. After returning from the Vietnam War, Dr. Stuart Roberts helped create the National Guard Helicopter Evacuation Program, a forerunner of today's medical helicopter transport programs.
The Hunt-Hess Scale gave physicians a method to classify the severity of subarachnoid hemorrhage that is still used today.
Cardiologists created the nation's first ambulance, dubbed the Heartmobile.
Surgeons performed central Ohio's first organ transplant – a kidney and advanced the field of organ and tissue transplantation through surgical techniques, organ preservation and anti-rejection medications.
Ohio State physicians and dietitians pioneered sports nutrition, including the importance of vitamin D for calcium absorption and the athlete's need for water during exercise.
Following World War II, Ohio State's hospital and outpatient facilities grew to support growing patient care needs. Physician scientists published many important studies, including these breakthrough discoveries:
- Drs. Robert Zollinger and Edwin Ellison identified Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome, which traced some peptic ulcers to tumors in the pancreas or small intestine.
- In 1957, Dr. Howard Sirak led a team that developed a "heart pump" for use In 1958, Dr. Bertha Bouroncle led a team that identified hairy cell leukemia. Twenty seven years later, Ohio State scientists created the lifesaving drug to treat it.
Medical research began to flourish, as Ohio State:
- Advanced the use of radiation as a cancer treatment
- Was the first central Ohio hospital to use penicillin to fight infection
- Established departments of Psychiatry, Neurology and Pediatrics
- Created a two-year medical degree program in response to World War II's demand for doctors
In 1925, a larger, state-of-the-art hospital opened at Ohio State, but quickly expanded again. By 1928, Starling-Loving University Hospital had three wings that housed 296 beds and a maternity unit, a modern concept during a time when most births still occurred at home.
The University gathered the region's best healthcare providers in a 21-bed hospital, staffed by 14 nurses at the corner of Neil Avenue and 10th Avenue. Ohio State's new College of Medicine occupied the front half of the building, and the hospital the back.
The origin of The Ohio State University Medical Center dates back to 1834 with the founding of the Willoughby Medical University of Lake Erie in Willoughby, Ohio. The Willoughby school moved to Columbus in 1846 to expand and improve its clinical facilities then merged with the Starling Medical College, the first teaching hospital in the United States. Over the next six decades, the Starling Medical College merged several times. In 1918, all of its assets were donated to The Ohio State University.