Ciaran Powers, MD, PhD
- Neurological Surgery
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-8714
About MeAs a neurosurgeon, I primarily focus on diseases of the blood vessels in the brain and spinal cord. I care for individuals facing potentially devastating diseases, specifically brain aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations. I also perform surgical procedures to treat conditions including cerebrovascular disorders, cerebral hemorrhage, vascular malformations, cerebral arterial disease and central nervous system vascular malformations.
I chose my specialty because of the rewarding opportunity to deliver positive outcomes. For example, if I can treat an unruptured brain aneurysm before it ruptures, I’m able to take a patient facing possible death or severe disability and give them the chance to live a healthy and fulfilling life. The patients I see are understandably frightened and I do my best to provide the information they need to make the best possible decisions for their care. There is often no one right answer, and it’s my responsibility to help people review their options and come up with the answer that is best for them.
I enjoy working at an institution like Ohio State where I’m able to make a meaningful difference in my patients’ lives.
When I’m not working I enjoy spending time with my family.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Outstanding Achievement in Patient Service
- Excellence in Teaching Award
- Best Doctor in America 2017
- Surgical Director of the Comprehensive Stroke Center, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Program Director, Neurological Surgery Residency, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Vascular Malformations
- Cerebrovascular Disorders
- Intracranial Aneurysm
- Carotid Stenosis
- Brain Ischemia
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
- Cerebral Arterial Diseases
- Central Nervous System Vascular Malformations
- Cerebral Hemorrhage
- Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
Duke University Medical Center
7/1/2004 - 6/30/2009
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinic
7/1/2009 - 6/30/2010
More About My Work
American Board of Neurological Surgery
News About Me
118 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.9 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.9
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.9
- Knows My Medical History 4.9
- Shows Respect 5
- Time Spent Together 4.8
29 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 03/26/2018, Dr. Powers has reported no relationships with companies or entities.