I have been practicing surgery for 30 years. As a surgeon at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, I specialize in diseases of the pancreas. My specific focus is on complex pancreatic disease, and my research interests include studying biologic processes that cause pancreatic disease, including pancreatic cancer and the Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome.
I am also interested in the future of general surgery. I have co-authored a book about the impending shortage of surgeons and steps we need to take to avoid limitations on access to surgical care.
What I enjoy most about working at Ohio State is the expertise that is available here. I relish and continue to practice general surgery in an academic setting. At Ohio State, we are dedicated to improving patients’ lives through innovation and high quality patient-centered care.
In my spare time, I like to spend time with my family, travel and enjoy the outdoors.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2014, 2015
- Zollinger’s Atlas of Surgical Operations
- Former Chair, American Board of Surgery
- Past Secretary, American Surgical Association
- Chair Advisory Council for General Surgery, American College of Surgeons
- Best Doctor in America 2000-2019
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- General Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
- Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Pancreatic Diseases
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome
- Adrenal Gland Cancers
- Biliary Tract Surgical Procedures
- Carcinoid Tumor
- Carcinoma, Islet Cell
- Carcinoma, Pancreatic Ductal
- Common Bile Duct Diseases
- Common Bile Duct Cancers
- Digestive System Diseases
- Duodenal Cancer
- Gallbladder Cancers
- Gastrointestinal Diseases
- Pancreatic Cancers
- Pancreatic Polypeptide-Secreting Cells
- Somatostatin-Secreting Cells
- Bile Duct Cancers
Education and Training
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
1/1/1972 - 5/30/1976
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
7/1/1977 - 6/1/1983
American Board of Surgery
General and Gastrointestinal Surgery
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 11/21/2019, Dr. Ellison has reported no relationships with companies or entities.