Heena Santry, MD
- Trauma Surgery
- Surgical Critical Care
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-2101
About MeAs an acute care surgeon, I provide surgical care to patients experiencing traumatic injuries as well as general surgery emergencies and critical care. I believe in providing each patient with patient-centered, holistic surgical care. No one is immune to trauma or general surgery emergencies. Unlike other surgical patients, those experiencing life-threatening injuries or unexpected conditions such as perforated bowel, don’t have the opportunity to optimize their condition, access their socio-economic resources or mentally prepare for major surgery.
I was drawn to my clinical specialty from a background in anthropology, a commitment to social justice and a love of surgery. In my field, I am as much social worker as I am surgeon and I pride myself in being a source of moral support for patients and their families during the most trying of times.
I am honored to work at an institution that reflects my values in healthcare delivery, seeks to train a diverse and compassionate healthcare workforce and supports scholarship that will impart such values well beyond the walls of Ohio State University.
When I’m not working, I am soaking up the best in food and culture that Columbus has to offer. I have recently taken to sewing and embroidery as a way to relax. I also enjoy running four to six half marathons a year.
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Founding director, Center for Surgical Health Assessment, Research and Policy (SHARP) at Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center
- Awarded a distinguished alumni award from my high school
- My research interests include the psychosocial and structural factors that impact outcomes for injured patients and emergency surgery patients through epidemiology, biostatistics, survey research, qualitative research and geography mapping
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Multiple Trauma
- Critical Care
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
University of Chicago Medical Center
7/1/2000 - 6/30/2007
Surgical Critical Care
Massachusetts General Hospital
7/1/2008 - 6/30/2009
Cook County Hospital
7/1/2007 - 6/30/2008
More About My Work
American Board of Surgery
American Board of Surgery (Subspecialty: Surgical Critical Care)
Trauma, Critical Care and Burn
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Santry has reported relationships with the companies or entities listed below. If you have questions about the relationships listed below, please ask the faculty member. If you have questions about how these relationships are monitored by The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, please contact our Compliance Office.
- Johnson & Johnson