As a pulmonary and critical care physician, my clinical practice is comprised of general outpatient and inpatient care for patients with acute or chronic lung disease and the care of patients in the medical intensive care units at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. I also have an active research program focused on the cellular and molecular underpinnings of chronic fibrotic lung diseases such as Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis with the long term goal of identifying novel therapeutic targets that will improve the lives of patients. I strive to communicate in a direct, honest and compassionate manner, to complete a thoughtful and reasoned diagnostic assessment and to partner with patients to determine the optimal therapies. Ultimately, my goal is to combine the best medical evidence with each patient’s goals and preferences to personalize the care of each patient.
Research interests: Mechanistic regulation of fibroblast survival and function by soluble and extracellular-matrix derived signaling during lung injury, repair and resolution, with a focus on how these mechanisms contribute to the pathogenesis of fibrotic lung diseases such as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
- Division Director, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine (2020)
- Research Funding from National Institutes of Health (2005-current)
- Fellow of the American Thoracic Society (2018)
- Editorial Board Member: The American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology (since 2017) and The American Journal of Pathology (since 2009)
- Deputy Editor (2017-2019), Associate Editor (2016-2017) and Editorial Board Member (2019-present) of Respirology: the Official Journal of the Asian Pacific Respiratory Society
- Sequence Director, M1 and M2 Respiratory Sequence (physiology and pathophysiology), University of Michigan Medical College (2015-2019)
- Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians (2008)
- T. Franklin Williams Scholar of the Association of Specialty Professors (2008)
- Recipient of the Dalsemer Award for Research in Interstitial Lung Disease from the American Lung Association (2006)
- Medical Staff Award for Clinical Excellence, Rush Medical College (1998)
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Rush Medical College (1998)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Syracuse University (1993)
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Lung Diseases, Interstitial
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Intensive Care Units
- Intensive Care
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Bronchitis, Chronic
Locations Where I Practice
2050 Kenny Road
Columbus, OH 43221
Please note: Not all physicians schedule patients at each listed location. Please call the “Schedule an appointment” number shown above for scheduling assistance.
Education and Training
Rush Medical College of Rush Univ, Chicago, IL
9/1/1994 - 6/1/1998
Rush Medical Center, Chicago, IL
7/1/1998 - 6/30/1999
Rush Medical Center, Chicago, IL
7/1/1999 - 6/30/2001
University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, MI
7/1/2001 - 6/30/2004
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine (Subspecialty: Pulmonary Disease)
American Board of Internal Medicine (Subspecialty: Critical Care Medicine)
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 11/21/2019, Dr. Horowitz has reported no relationships with companies or entities.