Luis Lara, MD
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
About MeAs a gastroenterologist at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, I specialize in pancreatic disease and endoscopic procedures as an alternative to surgical interventions. I provide immediate and comprehensive care to patients with complex pancreatic diseases. I enjoy reassuring patients and helping them navigate the treatment process with empathy and compassion.
My areas of research include pancreatic disease, acute pancreatitis, chronic pancreatitis, pancreas cysts, hereditary pancreatitis, pancreas cancer, pancreatectomy, pancreas islet transplantation and small bowel bleeding. Our research ensures that patients are offered the most up-to-date and cutting edge treatment strategies.
Here at Ohio State, we’re able to provide exceptional patient care because of our multidisciplinary approach and highly trained team of pancreas subspecialists, surgeons, radiologists, nutritionists, geneticists and a superior endoscopy group. This enhances our patients’ experience by expediting care in a compassionate yet efficient environment.
When I’m not working, I enjoy spending my free time traveling, riding my bike, hiking, car racing, reading, going to the theatre and listening to music.
- President elect, Florida Gastroenterological Society
- Co-director for various meetings of the Florida Gastroenterological Society, the American College of Gastroenterology and the Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Medical director of Pancreatology, the University of Texas Southwestern, Baylor University Medical Center, Cleveland Clinic Florida
- Assistant and associate professorships at the University of Texas Southwestern, Florida International University and Florida Atlantic University
- Recipient of society awards from the American College of Gastroenterology, the American Gastroenterological Association, the American Pancreas Association and the American College of Physicians
Additional Languages I Speak
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Pancreatic Islets Transplantation
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
7/1/1997 - 6/30/2000
Obstetrics / Gynecology
Instittuto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey
2/1/1995 - 7/31/1995
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
7/1/2000 - 6/30/2003
6/28/2003 - 6/25/2004
More About My Work
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine (Subspecialty: Gastroenterology)
Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 03/26/2018, Dr. Lara has reported no relationships with companies or entities.