Safdar Khan, MD
- Orthopaedic Surgery – Spine
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-2663
About MeAs a spine surgeon, I take care of patients with conditions affecting the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine including degenerative conditions as well as adult and pediatric advanced deformity, which is my area of interest.
My patient care philosophy is to treat each patient as I would treat a member of my own family. In circumstances where surgery is needed, it’s already a very difficult and tense time for people. I pride myself in treating each patient as an individual. What might work for one patient might not work for everyone, so part of my job is to develop a treatment plan that’s specific to each person’s condition. That might include non-operative care or possibly surgery.
I believe that by combining the tenants of research, teaching and education to provide excellent patient care, I’m living Ohio State’s mission to provide personalized medicine for everyone.
I grew up in Pakistan and came to this country in 1998. Since then, I’ve been involved in medical research, teaching and education. My wife is a clinical psychologist from California and we have two boys. In my free time, I love to cook and I fancy myself an amateur chef. Back in the day I used to play bass guitar in a band. Hopefully there are no pictures available!
- Benjamin R. and Helen Slack Wiltberger Endowed Chair in Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
- Chief of the Division of Spine in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Rated in top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2016
- Completed over four years of benchtop research at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York
- Published over 90 peer reviewed papers, 18 book chapters and presented his work nationally and internationally
- Sits on numerous national committees advancing spine surgery research
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Spinal Diseases
- Spinal Fusion
- Back Pain
- Spinal Cancers
- Sprains and Strains
- Fracture Fixation
- Intervertebral Disc
- Spinal Stenosis
- Spinal Cord Compression
- Spinal Fractures
- Spinal Curvatures
- Spinal Injuries
- Fractures, Bone
- Osteoarthritis, Spine
- Intervertebral Disc Degeneration
- Lumbar Vertebrae
- Intervertebral Disc Displacement
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
Aga Khan University Medical School
UC Davis Medical Center
7/1/2005 - 6/30/2010
Adult & Pediatric Spine Surgery
Rush Medical Center
9/1/2010 - 7/31/2011
More About My Work
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
News About Me
260 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.7 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.7
- Listens Carefully 4.7
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.7
- Knows My Medical History 4.5
- Shows Respect 4.8
- Time Spent Together 4.5
57 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Khan has reported no relationships with companies or entities.