Stephen Kolb, MD, PhD
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
About MeI approach patient care the way I would expect my physician to approach me – with competence, honesty and a collaborative style.
I am a physician/scientist. I care for patients who suffer from Lou Gehrig’s disease and spinal muscular atrophy.
Working with people living with incurable diseases is a privilege. I take pride in playing a positive role in the lives of people who face increasing disability and their own death, with bravery and grace.
At the same time, being helpless to stop the progression of Lou Gehrig’s disease motivates me to get back to my lab and work with my colleagues to figure out how to stop it. My hope is that by the time I retire, this will not be an incurable disease. And at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we work hard every day to help turn that hope into a reality.
- Started program to connect clinics and researchers
- Recipient of two NIH grants
- Research focused upon diseases of the motor neuron
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of “Regional Top Doctors,” 2015–2018
- Best Doctor in America, 2017
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Peripheral Nervous System Diseases
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Muscular Dystrophies
- Motor Neuron Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Muscular Atrophy, Spinal
- Hereditary Sensory and Motor Neuropathy
- Neuromuscular Diseases
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
7/1/1999 - 6/30/2002
The Hospital Of the University of Pennsylvania
7/1/2002 - 6/30/2007
More About My Work
American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Subspecialty: Neurology)
News About Me
49 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.7 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.9
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.8
- Knows My Medical History 4.4
- Shows Respect 4.8
- Time Spent Together 4.7
7 Patient Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 03/26/2018, Dr. Kolb has reported relationships with the companies or entities listed below. If you have questions about the relationships listed below, please ask the faculty member. If you have questions about how these relationships are monitored by The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, please contact our Compliance Office at 614-293-8000.
- Biogen Idec
- AveXis, Inc.